This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get Java-based app, Jubler, to install

Jubler is a subtitle editing application that I've used in all previous versions of Kubuntu that I've had. It's simple to install. You just make sure its install file, Jubler-5.1-linux.sh, is set to be an executable and you run it. It runs just like a Windows install program, and when it's done -- voilà -- you've got it up and running. I always did have to manually put it into the launcher, but no biggie.

In 16.04 I'm having my first problems ever installing Jubler. When I try to run the file, I get this:

Code:
    July 7 2016 attempting to install Jubler

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Jubler installer  100%  
    Searching for Java...not found!
    Press [RETURN] to see additional information on how to resolve this issue.

The autofind script could not locate a valid Java installation of version 1.5 or 6 in your system. If you don't have one, please go to http://www.java.com and download the latest JRE from there.

If the script was unable to find the Java distribution, then you have to declare the top-level installation directory, using the following command:
      export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/installation
    or if you have csh/tcsh:
      setenv JAVA_HOME /path/to/java/installation
    e.g.: export JAVA_HOME=/home/user/jdk1.5.0

To check what is happening, it is possible to rerun the installer using the debug option "-- -d"
    e.g.: /bin/sh ./Jubler-VERSION-linux.sh -- -d
    Then please cut & copy the produced output and send it to me (panayotis@panayotis.com)

If everything else fails, it is possible to bypass the automatic java path finder. If you have java in your path write the following commands:
      /bin/sh ./Jubler-VERSION-linux.sh --noexec --keep
      cd self
      java -jar Jubler-install-linux.jar
    Please don't forget to send me a bug report about this!

Press Return to close this window...
    At first I though maybe there was no Java installed, so I looked into installing it. However, I found I do indeed have the Open Source version of Java installed. It's in /user/bin/java. So, per the advice that the Jubler app put into the terminal, I tried telling it where Java is:
    Code:
    export JAVA_HOME=/user/bin/java
    Then I tried clicking the install file in Dolphin, but it still complained it could not find Java. So I decided to do it all from the Konsole like this:

Code:
    export JAVA_HOME=/user/bin/java | /home/thomas/Downloads/Jubler/Jubler-5.1-linux.sh
    It still squawks that it cannot find Java. WTF? What am I missing here?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Have you tried the installer debug option /bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d so you can examine where Jubler is expecting to find java?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Looks like the included findjava.sh script isn't written to cope with the newer style output of the JDK

/usr/bin/java -version

so returns a null, or that no compatible version can be found
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        Looks like the included findjava.sh script isn't written to cope with the newer style output of the JDK

/usr/bin/java -version

so returns a null, or that no compatible version can be found
        I've written to the developer detailing the problems I'm experiencing. I do have another Linux-based subtitle editor, but I don't like it as much as Jubler. I guess my choices are 1) live with the other software for now until the developer fixes Jubler or 2) keep troubleshooting and see if I can find a solution.

I thought it must be possible to tell Jubler where my Java is and then run the install. That's what I thought I was doing with this:
        Code:
        export JAVA_HOME=/user/bin/java | /home/thomas/Downloads/Jubler/Jubler-5.1-linux.sh
        On the other hand, I'm not that great at using the command line. Maybe there's something else I should have done. I know there's also the option of replacing the open source version of Java with a proprietary one, but I'm reluctant to do that. I hear it's better security to stick with the Java that is for Ubuntu.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Have you tried the installer debug option /bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d so you can examine where Jubler is expecting to find java?
        I'm afraid I don't completely understand how to do that. My Java is located at:
        Code:
        /user/bin/java
        The Jubler install file is at:
        Code:
        /home/thomas/Downloads/Jubler/Jubler-5.1-linux.sh
        How do I do what you suggest?

Comment

You just open a kosole and type the commad string I provided:

/bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d
          Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 09, 2016, 03:40 PM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            You just open a kosole and type the commad string I provided:

/bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d
            Thanks for the clarification. Here's the result:

Code:
            thomas@thomas-HP-Compaq-6200-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ /bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d
            /bin/sh: 0: Can't open ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh
            thomas@thomas-HP-Compaq-6200-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ /bin/sh /home/thomas/Downloads/Jubler/Jubler-5.1-linux.sh -- -d
            Verifying archive integrity... All good.
            Uncompressing Jubler installer  100%  
            Searching for Java...!! Information: Version=1.[56789].[0123456789], JDK=, ACCEPT_GCJ=
            >> Search in system paths
            -- Searching for /bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/sbin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/sbin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/bin/java
            -- Searching for /sbin/java
            -- Searching for /bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/games/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/games/java
            -- Searching for /snap/bin/java
            >> Search in common java directories
            -- Searching for /usr/share/java/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/jvm/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/java
            >> Looking in common locations
            -- Searching for /opt/bin/java
            -- Searching for /opt/master-pdf-editor/bin/java
            -- Searching for /opt/master-pdf-editor-3/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/bin/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/etc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/games/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/include/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/lib/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/man/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/sbin/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/local/share/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                       
            -- Searching for /usr/local/src/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                         
            -- Searching for /usr/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                                   
            -- Searching for /usr/bin/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                               
            -- Searching for /usr/games/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                             
            -- Searching for /usr/include/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                           
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                               
            -- Searching for /usr/lib32/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                             
            -- Searching for /usr/libx32/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                            
            -- Searching for /usr/sbin/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                              
            -- Searching for /usr/share/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                             
            -- Searching for /usr/src/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                               
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                               
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/accountsservice/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                               
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/apt/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                           
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/aspell/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                        
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                  
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/avahi/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                         
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/binfmt.d/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                      
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/binfmt-support/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/bluetooth/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                     
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/catdoc/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                        
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/cheese/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                        
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/chromium-browser/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                              
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/colord/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                        
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/compat-ld/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                     
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/cups/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                          
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/dbus-1.0/bin/java                                                                                                                                                                                      
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/dconf/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/debug/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/devede/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/doublecmd/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/dpkg/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/eject/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/emacsen-common/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/evince/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/EXTLINUX/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/firefox/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/firefox-addons/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/fwupdate/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gcc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gcr/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gettext/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ghostscript/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gimp/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/girepository-1.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/glib-networking/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gnome-keyring/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gnupg/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gnupg2/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gold-ld/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/grantlee/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/groff/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/grub/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/gvfs/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/iceape/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/iceweasel/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/indicators3/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/initramfs-tools/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/insserv/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ispell/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/jvm/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/kconf_update_bin/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/kde4/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/klibc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/language-selector/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/lapack/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ldscripts/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/libblas/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/libmbim/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/libpeas-1.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/libqmi/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/libreoffice/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/linux/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/linux-boot-probes/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/locale/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/lp_solve/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/man-db/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/memtest86+/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/midbrowser/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/mime/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/mission-control-plugins.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/modules-load.d/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/mozilla/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/msttcorefonts/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/nautilus/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/NetworkManager/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ntrack/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/nvidia/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/odbc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/openssh/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/os-prober/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/os-probes/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/p7zip/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pcmciautils/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/perl5/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/picard/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pkgconfig/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/policykit-1/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pppd/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pulse-8.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/purple-2/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/pyshared/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/python2.7/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/python3/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/python3.5/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/recoll/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/rsyslog/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/rtkit/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ruby/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/sasl2/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/shim/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/snapd/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/software-properties/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ssl/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/strigi/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/sudo/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/syslinux/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/SYSLINUX/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/systemd/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/tar/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/tc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/tcltk/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/telepathy/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ubiquity/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/ubuntu-release-upgrader/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/udisks2/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/unity-settings-daemon-1.0/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/update-notifier/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/upower/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/valgrind/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/vlc/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/X11/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xmind/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xorg/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xscreensaver/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xserver-xorg-video-intel/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xulrunner/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/bin/java
            -- Searching for /usr/lib/xvmcconfig-standard/bin/java
            XX Unable to locate Java
            not found!
            Press [RETURN] to see additional information on how to resolve this issue.^[[2;5~

The autofind script could not locate a valid Java installation of version 1.5 or 6 in your system. If you don't have one, please go to http://www.java.com and download the latest JRE from there.

If the script was unable to find the Java distribution, then you have to declare the top-level installation directory, using the following command:
              export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/installation
            or if you have csh/tcsh:
              setenv JAVA_HOME /path/to/java/installation
            e.g.: export JAVA_HOME=/home/user/jdk1.5.0

To check what is happening, it is possible to rerun the installer using the debug option "-- -d"
            e.g.: /bin/sh ./Jubler-VERSION-linux.sh -- -d
            Then please cut & copy the produced output and send it to me (panayotis@panayotis.com)

If everything else fails, it is possible to bypass the automatic java path finder. If you have java in your path write the following commands:
              /bin/sh ./Jubler-VERSION-linux.sh --noexec --keep
              cd self
            Please don't forget to send me a bug report about this!

thomas@thomas-HP-Compaq-6200-Pro-SFF-PC:~$

Comment

As I previously said, it's not failing because it's looking in the wrong place.

It's failing because /usr/bin/java -version now gives an output it wasn't written to recognise.

Code:
              VERS=`echo $JAVARES | grep 'java.version' | grep $VERSION`
              gives a null now with openjdk.

At least that is now the case with the JavaOpenJDK version I have on 16.04

You could rewrite the embedded findjava.sh script if you feel like it.

Or you can follow the instructions the installer gives on failure, and do.

Code:
              /bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh --noexec --keep
              cd self
              When installed you can then fix the Jubler run script in the install folder to point to the correct jubler.jar and not do the java version check again, or make your own .desktop or run script in your path to execute

e.g. execute /usr/bin/java -jar ~/Jubler/Jubler.jar

if you installed in your $HOME folder

Last edited by acheron; Jul 10, 2016, 12:45 AM. Reason: typo
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

As I previously said, it's not failing because it's looking in the wrong place.

It's failing because /usr/bin/java -version now gives an output it wasn't written to recognise.

Code:
                VERS=`echo $JAVARES | grep 'java.version' | grep $VERSION`
                gives a null now with openjdk.

At least that is now the case with the JavaOpenJDK version I have on 16.04

You could rewrite the embedded findjava.sh script if you feel like it.

Or you can follow the instructions the installer gives on failure, and do.

Code:
                /bin/sh ./Jubler-5.1-linux.sh --noexec --keep
                cd self
                When installed you can then fix the Jubler run script in the install folder to point to the correct jubler.jar and not do the java version check again, or make your own .desktop or run script in your path to execute

e.g. execute /usr/bin/java -jar ~/Jubler/Jubler.jar

if you installed in your $HOME folder

Okay! Progress! The install program ran. Afterwards I needed to manually put Jubler into the launcher, but that was no problem. The application runs now. To make certain everything is working fine, I set in the launcher for Jubler to run in the terminal. I did get the following warning message:

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: You have loaded library /home/thomas/Jubler/lib/libffdecode_32.so which might have disabled stack guard. The VM will try to fix the stack guard now.
                It's highly recommended that you fix the library with 'execstack -c <libfile>', or link it with '-z noexecstack'.
                If I have the launcher set to not run it in the terminal, Jubler simply appears to run with no problems. In the terminal, I get this error message, but it does run. I did check to see if I have this execstack program installed:
                Code:
                execstack --version
                It's coming up as not installed:
                Code:
                thomas@thomas-HP-Compaq-6200-Pro-SFF-PC:~$ execstack --version
                The program 'execstack' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
                sudo apt install execstack
                I googled to find out what execstack is and got the following:
                execstack is a program which sets, clears, or queries executable stack
                flag of ELF binaries and shared libraries. Linux has in the past
                allowed execution of instructions on the stack and there are lots of
                binaries and shared libraries assuming this behaviour. (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...ecstack.8.html)
                If I understand correctly, there's a chance Jubler could now be interfering with the dependencies of other applications and I therefore need to install this execstack program and then either:
                1. execstack -c <libfile>
                or
                2. link it with '-z noexecstack'.

In the launcher, my executable is currently set as follows:
                /home/thomas/Jubler/Jubler.jar
                So maybe I should install execstack and change it to this?:
                /home/thomas/Jubler/Jubler.jar -z noexecstack
                Is this important or is it a trivial issue? As I said, the application is running now. If I had not set it in the launcher to run in the terminal, I would not even have noticed the error message.

Many thanks for all the generous help offered.

Comment

AFAIK, it's not a problem so you can just ignore.

If anyone more knowledgeable on java can tell me I'm wrong, then OK, but if not I think that is solved?

Comment

AFAIK, it's not a problem so you can just ignore.

If anyone more knowledgeable on java can tell me I'm wrong, then OK, but if not I think that is solved?
                    Yes, if that one error message is trivial, then this issue is solved. I can just set the launcher to no longer run it in the Konsole and then I won't even see the error message. I've tested Jubler out, and it's running rock solid without any crashes. I'm very happy. Jubler is the best Linux-based subtitle editor that I've found. As is the case with many Java-based programs, it's interface is non-standard, but I can live with that.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                      Yes, if that one error message is trivial, then this issue is solved. I can just set the launcher to no longer run it in the Konsole and then I won't even see the error message. I've tested Jubler out, and it's running rock solid without any crashes. I'm very happy. Jubler is the best Linux-based subtitle editor that I've found. As is the case with many Java-based programs, it's interface is non-standard, but I can live with that.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
                      Great. Very pleased to have been of help.

Comment

Working...
                      X