Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody else having issues with chromium?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody else having issues with chromium?

Is anyone else having issues with chromium being slightly less-than-stable? I'm seeing the occasional lockup and the common application appears to be chromium; not seeing lockups with firefox or konqueror.

I pitched my profile in hopes that would smooth things out but it locks up the machine even with a clean profile. Hardware acceleration is disabled as I use nouveau instead of closed-source Nvidia drivers.

Anybody else seeing this?
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Chrome was giving me constant trouble, the worst being that it wouldn't play half of the YouTube videos I want and Google blamed me or my configuration. Its "help" page was useless. So, I dumped Chrome and went back to FF 47
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Chrome was giving me constant trouble, the worst being that it wouldn't play half of the YouTube videos I want and Google blamed me or my configuration. Its "help" page was useless. So, I dumped Chrome and went back to FF 47
      A shame. FF has issues with font rendering on my machine; I've got probably eight different zoom levels for different domains I have bookmarked and CNN is particularly persnickety - but chromium displays everything correctly if I force high-dpi support.

Also, at least on my machine chromium starts faster than FF does :P
      -- anais nin

Comment

Both are fine here, but could be graphics driver dependant etc.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

A friend of mine is using Firefox on Ubuntu GNOME with a 4K monitor and he found changing the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = ?" in about:config to 2 worked for him. You can change it to anything, sounds like the sweet spot is around 1.3-2. He also told me firefox in windows switches to the right setting by default. Same with macOS. Looks like mozilla is thumbing their nose at Linux users?

Comment

Originally posted by stratacast View Post
            A friend of mine is using Firefox on Ubuntu GNOME with a 4K monitor and he found changing the "layout.css.devPixelsPerPx = ?" in about:config to 2 worked for him...
            Been there, did that

TBH what fixed *most* of it was using the same fonts FF for Windows uses instead of the default. There is some CSS out there that's not hi-dpi friendly,

I had different zoom levels for just about every website I had bookmarked until I looked at the default font settings for FF under Windows, duplicated the settings and now only a couple are kinda weird.

On the chromium issue, it appears to have been a plugin; a clean profile also locked up the machine but I switched a couple of extensions to different ones that had the same functionality and chromium appears stable so far.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post

On the chromium issue, it appears to have been a plugin; a clean profile also locked up the machine but I switched a couple of extensions to different ones that had the same functionality and chromium appears stable so far.
              Been there, done that. No change. On my box Chromium didn't start any faster and still wouldn't play half the vids.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X