This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam no longer works!

Steam stopped working! No error messages. I tried rebooting. I tried installing and reinstalling. If I tell it to run steam it shows the bouncing icon and the klipper shows a button for a few seconds. If I run from a terminal, it claims to run/.steam.sh. Nothing worksand steam.exe is not listed in running processes when I bring up the list. How do I fix this?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Sounds like a manual cleanup might be needed.
    Find the other parts not removed by the uninstall... like .steam in the user folder.
    There is probably other locations too I don't know them all offhand.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Removing the .steam folder would also, in many cases, delete any saved games the OP might have had. Not to be used lightly without backing up. Many of my games are saved in .steam > steam > steamapps > common, for example.

How was Steam originally installed? Was a video driver recently updated?
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Steam updated. During update the computer rebooted. when I open steam.sh the file is empty. I think it updated partially and now the install is broken. If I uninstall and reinstall it stays broken. I suspect that due to the partial install apt-get doesn’t know where all the pieces are and therefore can not do a proper uninstall.

I suspect that the reboot was caused by Kubuntu 16.04 LTS.It probably still needs updated kernel .so files. Interesting how KDE Neon released on June 9th, 2016 and is based on Ubuntu 16.04, has updated .so files but Kubuntu and Ubuntu are still hopefully working on it?
        Last edited by steve7233; Jun 13, 2016, 12:46 PM.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Seems like quite a few games support the save sync these days... but valid point dequire.
          You could try renaming instead with the .steam folder to see if that helps if you want to keep saved games then copy them back in later.

I suspect you might be stuck with a manual removal now if you cannot cleanly uninstall with apt or otherwise.
          Not sure an update to steam itself will fix that problem. Did you try the apt-get purge option?
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I checked my Steam installation. It runs perfectly,as do the pgms I purchased.
            When I run it, it opens a box and says it is updating. The box stays open and says my Steam is "out dated" but the main program runs and is functional. The box prompts me to hit the "Return key". I ignore that and hit the "X" instead, closing the box. Steam and my programs continue to run normally. It's been behaving this way since I first installed Xenial and after I updated Plasma.

When you uninstall Steam do you use the purge option to remove the config files as well?

Steam installs a custom version of WINE. If you've installed WINE or PlayOnLinux they may be interacting Just a guess.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X