This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not update computer because of not enough time to enter password

Is there a way to increase the time to enter the password.? My computer uses a usb wireless key board. I think there is a problem with the usb system that causes many ke presses to get missed, I need to ener thepasword very slowly to mak sure t gts eneterd correcty.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I don't know. My systems sits there forever waiting for me to enter login info, so I don't know how/why it is not giving you enough time.

I think it is time to check/swap the keyboard's batteries, and maybe try a different usb slot too.

Comment

You mention update? So is this some sort of timeout in muon/updater applet? Or via command line? Or actually main system login?
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I don't know. My systems sits there forever waiting for me to enter login info, so I don't know how/why it is not giving you enough time.

I think it is time to check/swap the keyboard's batteries, and maybe try a different usb slot too.
        I alrady tried those two. I have other problems that make me think the usb system is bad like spontaneous reboots and freezes. Also some times it won't boot until I switch off the external usb HD.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          You mention update? So is this some sort of timeout in muon/updater applet? Or via command line? Or actually main system login?
          muon

Comment

Have you tried a different keyboard?
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
              Have you tried a different keyboard?
              I don't have another keyboard and I will b moving soon then I will build a new rig. I like to build my own desktops because even Dell doesn’t seem to know what a really good gaming rig is. Like I said I think it's the usb system not the keyboard. Why is Ubuntu 16.04 AMD 64 bit so buggy?

Comment

I was wondering about the keyboard in case it's faulty and sending weird data into the USB system.

I found 16.04 just post release to be buggy on my main machine to the point I dropped it back to 14.04. On my second machine was flawless, even after enabling back ports until the hardware died (No wan, no lan and if you didn't open the lid just so, the screen would flicker like strobe lighting). On it's replacement the touch pad is detected as a mouse and is a bit wild for precision use even after tweaking the mouse settings to calm it down. It is not the fault of Kubuntu, just that the appropriate drivers are not available yet.

Enough has been updated now that I am deciding whether to wait for 16.04.1 or not to redo my main box.
                Last edited by elijathegold; Jun 04, 2016, 08:36 AM. Reason: One day I will see typos before submitting. Today is not that day.
                It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I figured out it was the receiver, it was to far from the keyboard.

Comment

You may have solved the "slow keyboard entry" issue, but these items ...

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                    spontaneous reboots and freezes. Also some times it won't boot until I switch off the external usb HD.
                    look more like motherboard or memory problems. Sorry to say.

Comment

Please let us know if moving the keyboard solved those as well. I could easily imagine the keyboard trying to connect freaking about with the external USB at boot but it's a stretch for the reboots, unless the key combinations it sent included Alt+Shift+PrtScr+B.

Kids don't try that key combination at home unless you do as part of Alt+Shirft+PrtScr + R E I S U B
                      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I was hoping, but it even freezes while kde is loading at boot time! It still sometimes reboots so maybe the usb system is still faulty. When first upgraded from 15.10 to 16.04 I would get a bunch of usb failure codes. When they finally stopped I thought it might stop the weirdness but no. Maybe 16.04 just can't process some of my hardware correctly yet. Ubuntu devs probably still need to add more kernel module packages or as Micro$oft calls them, 'drivers'.

Comment

I wonder If this might have to do with the fact that KDE doesn’t have my keyboard in its list of keyboards. It's called 'Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 4000'. The numbers on the numeric key pad do not work whether the numlock is on or off and always moves the mouse pointer instead.
                          Last edited by steve7233; Jun 05, 2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

My Keyboard is a Cool Master Storm XT, which is not only one of the best names for a keyboard and one of the mechanical devices I have used, isn't listed either which comes a no real surprise. It does work flawlessly as a Generic 105-key (Intl). There is a "Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic 4000" listed in 14.04 which may be worth a try?
                            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I already tried all Microsoft keyboards and none of them will enable the numeric keypad.

Comment

Working...
                              X