X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar doesn't auto-hide anymore

Hi.
    The "auto-hide" feature of my taskbar or whatever it's called stopped working. Now it's always on and covering the lower portion of any other window. Kind of annoying...
    i have the feeling that it was caused by the updating of something related to Plasma, but I don't really know.
    I'm using 16.04.
    As always, any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Fernando View Post
    The "auto-hide" feature of my taskbar ... stopped working...
    ...or whatever it's called,,,
    It's called a "panel". ("A" panel, not "the", with KDE you can have lots of them.) The "task manager" is a widget typically put in a panel. I mention this because it might help you understand the prompts and menus better.

This happened to me in 15.10. First thing to try is turning auto-hide off then on; right click the panel, click "unlock widgets" if you see it, then mouse over "panel options", click "panel settings", click "more settings", click "Always Visible". then close the panel settings (the close button beside the "more settings" button. Then repeat, except clicking auto hide.

If that doesn't fix it, try moving that panel to another screen edge by grabbing (click and hold) the "screen edge" thingy and dragging to the top. Then, add another panel on the bottom by right clicking the desktop, click add panel, default panel. If it behaves, you can remove the problematic one (right click it).
    Regards, John Little

Comment

May well be this bug?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362105

And a workaround until the fix is released with next plasma update.

Sorry for the inconvenience. As a workaround until you receive this update, you can remove the virtual desktop pager (and telepathy quick chat, if you use it) from your panel and/or add a second virtual desktop.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Same thing here. Would not auto-hide right after update.
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram
        Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Well, if it's that bug then it should be fixed in plasma 5.6.5 if KDE decides to go ahead with that bugfix release this month.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

It should be FIXED-IN: 5.6.5
            Workaround: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362105#c22

Sorry, Duplicate. Mods can delete this.
            Last edited by mparillo; Jun 05, 2016, 06:43 AM. Reason: Sorry, Duplicate.

Comment

Thanks everybody!
              Must be the plasma version, then. I'm running 5.6.4 now.

Comment

I have Plasma Version 5.6.4 and I use the Panel option Windows Can Cover. The following relates to when I use my Intel Video card for display.

I find that if I do not have an external display connected, this feature works for both the Default Panel and an Empty Panel that I populate with frequently called applications. This panel I have on the side edge of the display.

I normally operate with an external display connected on Left side of my Laptop, using a VGA cable, with the System Settings > Display and Monitor defined for this setup. In this case I get the Empty Panel on the right side of the Laptop screen still working with the Windows Can Cover option. When I shift the Empty Panel to the Left side of my Laptop screen the Empty Panel is always visible and none of the visibility settings work.

Another "feature" of the external display connection, is the Default panel now always appears on the external display and I have to drag it onto my laptop display. A bug report of these problems has been reported here. You will find it interesting to read the approaches that have been tried to resolve this problem. All I can say is that I think the external display issue currently needs more work.

When I use my Nvidia card with the Canonical drivers this leads to additional "features" that I find unacceptable.

If I have problems with my display, I find that I can fix it by deleting the files in ~/.local/share/kscreen. After doing this I then have to get into System Settings and change the External display to the left side.

Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 07, 2016, 12:33 AM.

Comment

I am pleased to report that the external display problems that I and others have been experiencing will be resolved in Plasma 5.7. You can find a report on this here. The opening comment says it all
                  Code:
                  While for many people, multiscreen support in Plasma works nicely, for some of our users, it doesn’t.
                  So I am waiting patently for Plasma 5.7.

Comment

Working...
                  X