This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Menu Dropdown Menus Blank

Hi everyone. I'm loving Kubuntu 16.04 but one of my problems is with LibreOffice. When I scroll over icons (the ones to open a new document or to save a document or to print, etc.), the drop down menus that describe the actions of those icons are blank.

I've done some searches and it seems that changing the workspace theme helps. When I change the workspace theme from Breeze to Breeze Dark, I can see the text in the dropdown menus. However, this change causes the Menu items for "File", "Edit", "View", etc. to disappear. Is anyone else seeing this? Has anyone found a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok....I've been fiddling with this for a while. I completely removed libreoffice packages using Synaptic Package Manager and reinstalled LibreOffice applications one at a time. Initially, the toolbar icons were different and the whole theme was changed. I looked through the libreoffice packages one by one and installed libreoffice-gtk3. Things look back to normal and I can see the text for dropdown menus fine.

I have kubuntu 16.04 installed on an older laptop as well and did some experimenting. It seems that if I uninstall libreoffice-kde and install libreoffice-gtk3, everything is visible and themes match the rest of the system. I hope this all makes sense. I would love to hear from others who have observed this problem.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 08, 2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

thanks!! it worked by simply removing the kde package...

Comment

It looks to me that the package "libreoffice-kde" was written for KDE 4 based on the latest package details in Launchpad:
        Code:
        Depends: kde-runtime 	 (>> 4:4.10)
        So it makes sense that removing the package would allow LO to fall back onto using the default Breeze / Breeze Dark Theme options for handling GTK apps. Therefore it seems there are two goals - one short-term and one long-term:

Short term - File a bug against Kubuntu to make sure libreoffice-kde is not installed by default, nor be a 'depends' if re-installing LO from Kubuntu (the latter is doubtful behavior anyway)

Long term - The package needs updated to support Plasma 5 if one wants a consistent look- and -feel with LO and Plasma.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X