This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torrents not recognised

In 14,04 clicking on a torrent link in Firefox automatically opens Ktorrent. In 16.04 I get the address wasn't understood. I think I had the same problem in 15.04 and 15.10 but never got round to sorting it. All help appreciated.

HI

I think this should be fixable within Firefox. If you can find 'torrent' under Preferences > Applications, you can change or set the application it opens with.

If it's not in the list, the prefs dialogue doesn't let you add it; instead see Change what Firefox does when you click on or download a file | Firefox Help.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Here, in my default installation of 16.04 (.iso dated 21-Apr-2016 IIRC), clicking on the torrent link for Kubuntu 15.10 (cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/15.10/release/kubuntu-15.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent) opens a Firefox dialog window titled "Opening kubuntu-15.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent" and under "What should Firefox do with this file?" Open with ktorrent (default) is checked. Clicking on OK launches KTorrent and the download begins. Something about your system isn't quite right.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can't seem to change the preference in firefox. Since my first post I've installed a new drive on my lap top and reinstalled 16.04, I reinstalled Suse tumbleweed as well. As far as I can remember I've always been able to open torrent files on in plasma 4, whether on my desktop or laptop, whether in Kubuntu or Opensuse, whether in Firefox or Chrome. As far as I can remember I've never been able to open a torrent on plasma 5, whether on my desktop or laptop, whether in Kubuntu 15.04, 15.10 or 16.04 or Opensuse Leap or Tumbleweed, whether in Firefox or Chrome.
        Last edited by Rich Oliver; May 02, 2016, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
          As far as I can remember I've never been able to open a torrent on plasma 5, whether on my desktop or laptop, whether in Kubuntu 15.04, 15.10 or 16.04 or Opensuse Leap or Tumbleweed, whether in Firefox or Chrome.
          strange,,,,,,,I do this every other day or so ,,,,,in Kubuntu-16.04 and before in 15.10 ,,,,,and as far as I can remember I never had to change any settings at all.

you do have Ktorrent installed ,,,,,,rite?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            strange,,,,,,,I do this every other day or so ,,,,,in Kubuntu-16.04 and before in 15.10 ,,,,,and as far as I can remember I never had to change any settings at all.

you do have Ktorrent installed ,,,,,,rite?

VINNY
            Yes I can start it manually. It comes as part of the distro.

Comment

OK I'm in completely new install of 16.04 and the problem seems to have narrowed down to Magnet links in Firefox. Torrents working OK and Magnet links working in Chrome.

Comment

Maybe the following steps:

1. Open Firefox and type in about:config in the Address Bar and hit Enter.
                2. Type in enter handler.expose in the search box at the top of the list.
                3. right click - New - Boolean
                4. Enter the preference name network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet
                5. Set its value to false
                6. Click on the magnet link and you should see Firefox’s Launch Application Choose Dialog
                7. Select your torrent client.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Maybe the following steps:

1. Open Firefox and type in about:config in the Address Bar and hit Enter.
                  2. Type in enter handler.expose in the search box at the top of the list.
                  3. right click - New - Boolean
                  4. Enter the preference name network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet
                  5. Set its value to false
                  6. Click on the magnet link and you should see Firefox’s Launch Application Choose Dialog
                  7. Select your torrent client.
                  I'd already done that, I found the suggestion on a google search. No nothing happens when I click on a magnet link. The new line is highlighted for some reason even though I've rebooted since entering it:

network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet user set boolean false

Comment

iirc you set it to true to be asked what program to open it with.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X