This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mscorefonts won't properly install

Installing the Microsoft Core Fonts has never been a problem before today. I always just did it with easy via the Muon Package Manager. Not today. It acted like it installed, and it's checked off as installed in Muon, but the fonts don't show up in LibreOffice, despite reboots, and despite running the update manager.

So I purged the install with Muon and tried again. Same problem as before. So I purged and looked up the commands to install it in the terminal. In the terminal, the commands ran, but then it complained that the download failed. Afterwards Muon showed it as supposedly installed.

So I purged again in Muon and downloaded a Debian package (from here http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/a...aller/download) and installed that. They still didn't show up. Afterwards, the Update Manager said that it needed to run, and I let it. It claimed to need to download things for the mscorefonts. So I let it run and it did so without complaining of any problems. The stupid fonts STILL won't show up, even after a reboot.

Every time, I've always made sure to agree to the terms of these proprietary fonts.

This is driving me nuts. This is a new install of Kubuntu 16.04 LTS on my desktop -- long story, but I wiped it and reinstalled due to OS problems. I do have 16.04 on my laptop where the mscorefonts are already successfully installed. I think there must be some hassle going on with the download. Is there some way I can take those fonts from my laptop and put them onto my desktop? All I need are Courier New and Times New Roman. It's important to me to have these fonts because I sometimes save as a Word document to give to people who use Windows machines.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Easily fixed, just find the fonts where they're installed on the laptop (should be: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts) and copy them to a USB flash drive. Then just plug the drive into your other PC and open System Settings, Font Management, choose Add on the bottom, navigate to the USB drive and select from there to install them.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

In the terminal:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
      sudo fc-cache -f -v

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Easily fixed, just find the fonts where they're installed on the laptop (should be: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts) and copy them to a USB flash drive. Then just plug the drive into your other PC and open System Settings, Font Management, choose Add on the bottom, navigate to the USB drive and select from there to install them.
        Hurrah, that worked. Strangly enough, it didn't work when I tried to install straight from the thumb drive, but it did after I copied the fonts to a folder on the hard drive. Maybe it was a file permissions issue. In any event, it worked. Thanks.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Working...
        X