X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desktop manager fail after a dist-upgrade

Hi,
    When I have rebooted after upgrading to Xenial Xerus ; in recovery mode, the system warned me of a problem loading lightdm.
    I can use a shell and give the startx command which launches lxdm that I had installed before.
    I do not know how to print the warning messages.
    Thank for your help.

That's often a problem with upgrading to a new release, old configurations and files are often left behind because of a variety of reasons, many not in control, or can be controlled by the installer. Lightdm was used by 14.04. 16.04 uses sddm (simple desktop display manager).
    Also, 16.04 besides switching to Plasma5, has also switched from Upstart & sysVinit to Systemd.

You should disable lightdm and enable sddm.
    Lightdm is controlled by Upstart, not sysVinit. So

echo "manual" | sudo tee -a /etc/init/gdm.override

The splash screen can cause some problems, so I would suggest you to
    disable it. Edit the /etc/default/grub file and replace the line
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    with
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet".

Then generate a new Grub2 config file:
    sudo update-grub

After you boot up don't use startx. Instead, enable ssdm:
    sudo systemctl enable sddm
    sudo systemctl enable graphical.target

Then reboot.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dear GreyGeek, I have created the gdm.override file with the unique word "manual", and I have followed your instructions but on reboot, the warning messages still saying it failed to use lightdm. Then a message tell me to execute :

systemctl status lightdm.service
      systemctl status gpu-manager.service

After that the system pursues the boot procedure, until he gives a message :
      A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up
      A time counter begins and never stop after 8 min.

And I must reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Suppr, because I have not access to a shell. Now I must suspend my tests, but if you have an idea to follow it would be cool for me.

Comment

From grub select the recovery option and from there the root with shell option.

Run
        journalctl -a -r
        which will list all the journal entries in reverse order, listing the most recent first. Look for times which correspond to when your last boot up hung. The last process listed before your boot to root may be the culprit.

I suspect that something is blocking sddm from loading.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Gpu ?

I have a problem with the root's shell in recovery mode, when I use tabs for completion, the screen is recovered by the recovery menu. Is there a link between this and that ?
          So I used the recovery mode and resume and access to bash.
          journalctl -a -r gives this information informations about lightdm and gpu-manager :

zeus gpu-manager[1147]: update-alternatives: erreur: pas d'alternatives pour i386-linux-gnu_gfxcore_conf
          zeus gpu-manager[1147]: /etc/modprobe.d is not a file
          zeus systemd[1]: Starting Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes...
          zeus systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
          zeus systemd[1]: Started Manage, Install and Generate Color Profiles.
          zeus dbus[846]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.ColorManager'
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
          zeus systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
          zeus systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...
          zeus systemd[1]: Started Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
          zeus gpu-manager[1102]: update-alternatives: erreur: pas d'alternatives pour i386-linux-gnu_gfxcore_conf
          zeus gpu-manager[1102]: /etc/modprobe.d is not a file
          zeus systemd[1]: Starting Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes...
          zeus systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
          zeus systemd[1]: Started LSB: automatic crash report generation.
          zeus apport[1046]: ...done.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
          zeus systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
          zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
          zeus systemd[1]: Started LSB: daemon to balance interrupts for SMP systems.
          zeus irqbalance[1044]: ...done.
          zeus apport[1046]: * Starting automatic crash report generation: apport
          zeus systemd[1]: Started LSB: Set the CPU Frequency Scaling governor to "ondemand".
          zeus irqbalance[1044]: * Starting SMP IRQ Balancer: irqbalance
          zeus systemd[1]: Starting Light Display Manager...

With systemctl status gpu-manager.service I obtain :
          ● gpu-manager.service - Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes
          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpu-manager.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
          Active: inactive (dead) since jeu. 2016-10-06 10:04:43 CEST; 14min ago
          Process: 1224 ExecStart=/usr/bin/gpu-manager --log /var/log/gpu-manager.log (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
          Main PID: 1224 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: Starting Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes...
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus gpu-manager[1224]: /etc/modprobe.d is not a file
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus gpu-manager[1224]: update-alternatives: erreur: pas d'alternatives pour i386-linux-gnu_gfxcore_conf
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: Started Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: gpu-manager.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: Failed to start Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.

and with systemctl status lightdm.service :
          ● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
          Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since jeu. 2016-10-06 10:04:43 CEST; 12min ago
          Docs: man:lightdm(1)
          Process: 1250 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/lightdm (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
          Process: 1246 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$(basename $(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null))" = "lightdm" ] (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
          Main PID: 1250 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Unit entered failed state.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: Stopped Light Display Manager.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
          oct. 06 10:04:43 zeus systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

%%%%%%%%%%%
          What are GPUs ?

Comment

I have installed lightdm-gtk-greeter, after reboot a shell opened, I update packages with some linked to lightdm, and when the reboot was done I had a login screen.
            But I can not choose any other desktop manager than Lxde, OpenBox and a third but not KDE.
            In Lxde, I can launch Kde applications, I installed the meta package kde which was extraneously uninstalled. On the control panel of Kde, the screen connexion is fixed on SDDM, and not the login screen I saw.

Comment

[Solved]

OK, I have updated the system, installed lightdm-gtk-greeter, the meta package of KDE which was extraneously not installed. After reboot I obtain a login screen and choose the Plasma Desktop (I searched KDE name in vain) and WHAOU a new KDE desktop !!!

Comment

Good!
                On the reboot you let extraneous msgs deflect you from enabling seem and the graphical.target and then rebooting again.
                I suspect that if you check the default-display-manager again you will find that your box is still using lightdm It's little gotcha's like that which cause me to favor a clean install over an upgrade. Your installation may continue to work well, or not, depending on past changes you made in configuration or sources of installed packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How can I check and choose the default desktop manager ?

Comment

Originally posted by pierrO View Post
                    How can I check and choose the default desktop manager ?

You can check it with this command:
                    :~$ cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
                    I've never changed it so I'd have to do some research to find out how. Google "how to set kubuntu display manager" and see what you can find.

Comment

You suspected right ! lightdm is still the desktop manager.

Comment

try running
                        Code:
                        sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm
                        VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK Fine Thank you

Comment

Working...