This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rationale behind Systemd

I decided to embrace systemd instead of fighting it on 16.04. To that end I needed an overview for the rationale behind systemd. One of the developers, Lennart Poettering, posted an excellent article,"Rethinking PD1", explaining past PD1's, their advantages and disadvantages, and why systemd is designed the way it is. It is old, 2010, but it is an excellent read and gives one a good historical view. The differences between the approach by Upstart and Systemd are discussed.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html

Kevin Sievers and Lennart Poettering are the original systemd developers. I noticed posts on the Linux kernel chat that two years ago Linus Torvolds refused to add Kevin Sievers' patches to the kernel until he "cleaned up his messes instead of covering them up". I don't know if bad blood still exists between Linus and the Systemd team of Sievers and Poettering. Probably not, because systemd has become the PD1 for most of the major distros except PCLinuxOS and Slackware, plus some minor ones. Debian has switched to it, as has Ubuntu and SUSE.and openSUSE.

It's the future in Linux. Might as well get on board now rather than later!
    Here's an interview with Lennart Poettering:
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The interview itself starts around minute 36, and the systemd part ends at around minute 63, for those who don't want to listen to the entire program, which is around 1:34 hours long.

Comment

Working...
    X