This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Updater: Some sanity, PLEEEZ!

OK, so its Panel icon is now behaving properly: Red shield advisory, green and hidden with success. Now, can we please have:
    1. True reporting of numbers. Today's update was advised as 9 to update, 1 security. Updating involved 23 packages!
    2. Decent progress bar. Presently seems to indicate progress of only the download phase. What about preparing, unpacking, installing, configuring? CLI shows each phase, why not the GUI? Could be even more granular with progress of each package within the phase.
    Last edited by Fester Bestertester; May 13, 2016, 08:57 PM.

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
    ...Now, can we please have:
    1. True reporting of numbers. Today's update was advised as 9 to update, 1 security. Updating involved 23 packages!
    IIUC, unless you want apt update (or some equivalent) running all the time, that's always going to happen, if updates land in your repositories since the last check. I think the default is to check daily. I imagine you could set up a root cron job to update more often.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks, John.
      So, a good start could be a bit more frequent polling of repo status (I don't recall a user config setting for update check freq/period), or perhaps an RSS-style check of the presence of updated package/s since last check (configurable as noted above)? Shouldn't involve much server process, 'net traffic or client resource.

FBt

Comment

Unless you are dead-set on having this 'feature' via an automated process, all you have to do is open a konsole each time you log in and run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. You'll know exactly how many package are available for upgrade.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are we talking about Plasma Discover's updater, correct, since Muon updater no longer exists other than as a link to the new one, package-wise?
          Yes I am being persnickety :P

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Unless you are dead-set on having this 'feature' via an automated process, all you have to do is open a konsole each time you log in and run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. You'll know exactly how many package are available for upgrade.
            I keep a script in my home account, Updater.sh, which has
            Code:
            #!/bin/bash
            sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
            and is marked as executable. I can run that manually any time I want. Or, I can put the "sudo ..." line into ~/.profile and it will run automatically when I log into my account.

The #1 reason why I don't make it automatic is because I want to see what "dist-upgrade" is going to do before I commit to it. Will I want to create a PRE snaptshot using btrfs before I run it?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoWeeklyUpdateHowTo

Which all can be modified of course

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                No, my friend, I'm not 'dead-set' on such. I'm thinking of a bigger picture. Would you suggest all users desiring a truer assessment of their 'up-to-datedness' just go ahead and do it anyway at boot-up, with its time and 'net wastage? No, I'd suggest a more timely advisory, perhaps even with that RSS-style number of out-of-date packages in the icon, so users themselves can assess whether or not to update/upgrade.
                BTW, this is only part 1. Anybody looking at part 2. or passing it to Muon devs? I'm just a user 'Noddy' with an eye to usability.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh. You're right. Just that the link made the change invisible, and it worked as before anyway Does that make it a Plasma issue?

Comment

no, since it is not a project developed by KDE itself, per se, such as dolphin or Krunner is.

I don't have any issue with the update notifier. As I am running 16.04 pretty much stock, and not on a pre-release of 16.10 yet, I updates 'em when I sees 'em, and the count has been accurate. Now, when I'm in pre-release mode and the updates come down 24/7 I don't use the notifier as it is basically always gonna be on

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      no, since it is not a project developed by KDE itself, per se, such as dolphin or Krunner is.

I don't have any issue with the update notifier. As I am running 16.04 pretty much stock, and not on a pre-release of 16.10 yet, I updates 'em when I sees 'em, and the count has been accurate. Now, when I'm in pre-release mode and the updates come down 24/7 I don't use the notifier as it is basically always gonna be on
                      16.04 stock here too, as all are/have been. Haven't needed to build my own for years.
                      Just wondering what notifier you take notice of? I glimpse the Panel icon occasionally, and first click there is often inaccurate. This is beef #1 from my original post.
                      (I usually power-off overnight and boot up in the morning (NZT), but occasionally run overnight. I'm typically at the keyboard most of the day, with an occasional manual reboot - usually that's as needed to boot Windoze, though that's becoming less and less as Kubi's apps take over).
                      I've noted https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutoWeeklyUpdateHowTo, though it gives Ubuntu pointers, not Kubuntu. At some stage I may attempt the translation of dialect.

Comment

The pointers there are the same for Kubuntu, since we are the same as Ubuntu under the GUI. The only difference here is how one gets to Software Sources configuration, which for us is found in the package manager - Configure Software Sources. It is the same exact same Python tool as in ubuntu, just with a kde gui

I don't often reboot, I just let the laptop go to sleep. I log in when I get home from work and it runs off and on, depending on if I am using it actively or not, but it usually is "awake" from 5 to 8 hours a day.

Comment

Thanks again, claydoh. Must be gettin' old. That's the pointer I needed.
                          Desktop here,hp p6 (core i3), so I power down. Haven't gotten used to suspend, even with a 'moon' button on the keyboard . I presume it's a sleep/wake toggle? I'll have to experiment.... Yup. Now what's standby power consumption? rtfm...?
                          Last edited by Fester Bestertester; May 14, 2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X