X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 14.04 - kontact and kmail problems

Hi,
    I just upgraded from kubuntu 14.04 by using a USB flash drive. Most of the stuff is working fine, yet two things annoy me somewhat:
    • In kontact, only the address book page has a menu bar. In every other page (overview, kmail, akregator, etc), there is no menu bar and I have no idea how to get it there (ctrl+m does not work here, although e.g. kate recognizes it). So, whenever I want to edit my settings, I have to switch to the address book page first, which is not really a problem, but slightly annoying.
    • In kmail, the email list is white - no title or sender is visible. The email itself displays fine, it's just that the list of emails in a folder is practically unusable. Switching the color theme does not change a thing - I thought that maybe the font is really light, but a dark color scheme still shows nothing.

The second point makes kmail practically unusable. Does anyone else have this problem? Or better, does anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Thanks and regards,
    tickferno

I believe I have the same problem with kmail. I found that if I change the message list theme to classic, I can see the emails. But, it seems then that the list doesn't include a column for the email subject, and adding/removing columns doesn't work.

also, in my case this was a fresh install, not an upgrade

Comment

Have a look at Check Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Appearance -> Colours. Maybe something has gone a bit hinky in there to make things white.

[edit]
      To get your menus back with C-m not working you need to edit a conficuration file.
      1. Exit kmail
      2. Backup the file ~/.config/kmail2rc just in case something goes wrong
      3. Edit ~/.config/kmail2rc
      4. Under the General section, change ShowMenuBar=false to ShowMenuBar=true
      5. Save the file and fire up Kmail.
      [/edit]
      Last edited by elijathegold; May 01, 2016, 04:21 PM.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
        Have a look at Check Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Appearance -> Colours. Maybe something has gone a bit hinky in there to make things white.

[edit]
        To get your menus back with C-m not working you need to edit a conficuration file.
        1. Exit kmail
        2. Backup the file ~/.config/kmail2rc just in case something goes wrong
        3. Edit ~/.config/kmail2rc
        4. Under the General section, change ShowMenuBar=false to ShowMenuBar=true
        5. Save the file and fire up Kmail.
        [/edit]
        Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that later, when I'm at home. I guess the config files were moved, since I could not find them under ~/.kde/share/config anymore.

[edit]
        By the way, if I start kmail directly, the menubar shows, it's only not showing in kontact. But I will edit the kontactrc file accordingly ;-)
        [/edit]

Comment

Originally posted by trippingwires View Post
          I believe I have the same problem with kmail. I found that if I change the message list theme to classic, I can see the emails. But, it seems then that the list doesn't include a column for the email subject, and adding/removing columns doesn't work.

also, in my case this was a fresh install, not an upgrade
          I can confirm this on my system. Also, messing around with the color settings of kmail did not work. The color settings don't seem to affect the message list. Interestingly enough, when choosing the settings for the design of the mail list (I'm using the German version so I have to translate freely, sorry for that), the message list displays fine in the example.

But I managed to get the menu bars back by editing ~/.config/kontactrc!

Comment

I think I have sorted out the kmail display issues by changing the message list aggregation to flat and manually adjusting the size of the columns. I didn't try this until after I updated to KDE Neon stable so it may require both.
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

I think I found the reason: If I select "Intelligent with clickable status" as message list design (I assume it's called like that in English), then the list is white. But if I just select "Intelligent", the emails are listed nicely. Since I'm fine with just the "Intelligent" design, I'll mark this thread as solved, if everyone agrees.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X