This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phil1349 View Post
    This is not good. Just completed clean install and exactly the same problem, no change. Seriously considering going back to 14.04LTS.
    Why not just downgrade the kernel to a previous working version?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In reply to Greygeek, downgrading to 14.04 is 1 way of using a version 3 kernel which I know works. When I had the upgraded system which still retained version 3 kernels then I could simply boot into a previous version. Now I have done a clean install, these are no longer present and the version of 14.04 still available on the Kubuntu site uses a version 4 kernel. I did take a copy of the root directory before the clean install so maybe I could use these kernels.

What is frustrating is that it is probably a stupidly simple fault, I will report this as a bug to try and sort it out as it is better to go forward rather than back.

Comment

Don't downgrade the distro, JUST the kernel.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This just goes on & on. I copied over version 3 kernels I had backed up, did update-grub etc and it booted into a version 3 kernel. No WiFi although wired ethernet works OK. It allows me to go through the wireless configuration set-up but at the end the "connect" button stays greyed out. I have looked at the output of lshw and noticed the following differences :-

From 4.4 working WiFi
          *-network
          description: Wireless interface
          product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
          vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
          logical name: wlp3s0
          version: 01
          serial: 74:e5:43:5c:41:54
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
          configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=4.4.0-34-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.64 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
          resources: irq:18 memory:f0500000-f050ffff

From 3.13 - no WiFi
          *-network UNCLAIMED
          description: Network controller
          product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
          vendor: Qualcomm Atheros
          physical id: 0
          bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
          version: 01
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
          configuration: latency=0
          resources: memory:f0500000-f050ffff

I could not see any other major differences. It seems to have recognised it but not initialised it properly. I am stuck again !

Comment

No. Reinstall the 4.4 kernel.
            It seems that they've renamed the drivers for the rts5139. They are now labled rtsx_usb_***.ko
            Here is what is on my system:
            Code:
            :~$ [B]modinfo rtsx_usb[/B]
            filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/mfd/rtsx_usb.ko
            description:    Realtek USB Card Reader Driver
            author:         Roger Tseng <rogerable@realtek.com>
            license:        GPL v2
            srcversion:     F5CE16F7B51D0CE3A5F5622
            alias:          usb:v0BDAp0140d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
            alias:          usb:v0BDAp0139d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
            alias:          usb:v0BDAp0129d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*
            depends:        
            intree:         Y
            vermagic:       4.4.0-36-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
            parm:           polling_pipe:polling pipe (0: ctl, 1: bulk) (int)

~$ [B]modinfo rtsx_usb_ms[/B]
            filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/memstick/host/rtsx_usb_ms.ko
            description:    Realtek USB Memstick Card Host Driver
            srcversion:     0D1656B13CD64BC198A640C
            alias:          platform:rtsx_usb_ms
            depends:        rtsx_usb,memstick

:~$ [B]modinfo rtsx_usb_sdmmc[/B]
            filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-36-generic/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/rtsx_usb_sdmmc.ko
            description:    Realtek USB SD/MMC Card Host Driver
            srcversion:     A9790994A36011928724F78
            alias:          platform:rtsx_usb_sdmmc
            depends:        rtsx_usb
            :~$
            Do "lsmod" in a Konsole and check which module the kernel is loading as your card readers. IF it is not one of the three above then do "sudo modprobe -r whateveritis" and then "sudo modprobe oneofthethree"
            Experiment and find out which one works for you, if any will. If one works then issue "sudo echo rtsx_whatever >> /etc/modules" to make it permanent.

Comment

I checked the kernel modules as described by Greygeek and everything is identical, modinfo rtsx_usb_**** all give exactly the same responses. Looking back at the dmesg outputs it seems the problem begins when it tries to attach the card as a scsi device. Could this be a scsi driver problem ?

Also, on the working kernel 3.13 system, the same module names are loaded. They are different files as the file sizes and srcversion nos. are different but it may be worth copying the working modules to the kernel 4.4 system just to see what happens.

Comment

Did you do an "lsmod" in a Konsole and check to see which wireless driver your system is using? You may have to blacklist the one the kernel is trying to load.

Comment

Working...
                X