This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon MP280 driver barfs

Canon seem to have trouble generating linux drivers. My MP280 works fine as a printer on my amd64 Kubuntu desktop, but I'm having the devil's own job finding a functioning scanner driver (seemingly NOT provided with the standard printer driver). The driver I have found (cnijfilter-mp280series-3.40-1-deb) attempts install, but then immediately uninstalls with purge - is it i386-only? No, it's dependent on libtiff4, and libtiff5 (as installed) doesn't cut the mustard. Given that most packages are backward-compatible, why the 4 when 5 is in place? I'd suspect that installing 4 would NOT be desirable!?

Thanks for your comments pdc_2. The puzzling thing is that I too appear to already have all the dependencies installed. However, I have also found a thread on ubuntu forums which has a lot of information:
    http://driverbasket.com/canon-pixma-...nload-windows/

Comment

Windblows driver for mx... NOT Linux, not mp280 and not a thread, just a download page. Issue here seems to have been resolved by brute-force-and-ignorance complete format of / and re-do from start. That was occasioned by lack of password prompt on startup - severe security issue long-unresolved. Skanlite now finds the device, but haven't yet tested full functionality. Cheers all ...

Comment

Originally posted by Fester Bestertester View Post
        Canon seem to have trouble generating linux drivers. My MP280 works fine as a printer on my amd64 Kubuntu desktop, but I'm having the devil's own job finding a functioning scanner driver (seemingly NOT provided with the standard printer driver). The driver I have found (cnijfilter-mp280series-3.40-1-deb) attempts install, but then immediately uninstalls with purge - is it i386-only? No, it's dependent on libtiff4, and libtiff5 (as installed) doesn't cut the mustard. Given that most packages are backward-compatible, why the 4 when 5 is in place? I'd suspect that installing 4 would NOT be desirable!?
        There is a discussion about libtiff4 vs libtiff5 here and how to install the libtiff4 pkg. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work then uninstall it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X