Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow system and no shutdown, graphic drivers ATI?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow system and no shutdown, graphic drivers ATI?

Hi, I installed a clean Kubuntu 16.04 on a laptop (Dell studio) with an ATI card (5430/5450). The system is slower than it was before on the 14.04, and it doesn't shut down properly (it hangs on the black screen with Kubuntu logo).
    I guess these issues can be related to the graphic driver, and I read this article saying that this is an irreversible problem http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/u...x-driver-16-04

Is it realy like this? It seems so stupid...Hopefully there is a fix to use proprietary drivers.

Best,

I confirm this on my Dell Latitude D820 using the Nvidia G72M and Nouveau driver.

If you hit F2 quickly enough you will get a little bit more information on the shutdown process.
    It gets to "shutdown target" and no more, forcing a hard shutdown with the power button.

It works, but not well...
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Try this:

Instead of opting to do a shutdown directly, choose to logout of the Desktop session first, and when the SDDM Greeter screen is displayed, click on the Shutdown icon.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog:

Logged out of the desktop, back to the login screen, clicked the small shutdown icon and no joy.
        Exactly the same response as shutdown directly from the desktop menu option. System is still responsive to keyboard and I can use F2 to view the shutdown steps, right up to "Reached target Shutdown"... but no actual power down occurs.
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I tried too, and same issue as TWPonKubuntu. Last line is "reboot: System halted", and it hangs there. I have to power down by pressing once the power button...

Comment

The hang on shutdown problem is long standing on some hardware, and all ubuntu flavours

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post388867

Searching bug reports on launchpad may bring up some clues?
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
            X