This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new kernal, 3.19.0-26, hangs

If I boot 3.19.0-26 from the latest update, on boot it displays the Kubuntu logo, then a black screen and hangs.

I have to press Ins or F2 to bring up the options and boot 3.19.0-25. That version will boot fine.

Is anybody else having problems with the newest kernal update, 3.19.0-26, hanging on boot?

It boots just fine here. Are you using any proprietary graphics drivers?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Is anybody else having problems with the newest kernal update, 3.19.0-26, hanging on boot?
      No, just checked, working fine on both my Vivid installs, using the Nvidia 304 driver.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I am having that exact problem here! Udated yesterday and now I'm using a LiveCD while trying to fix it... Still worse, for some reason I have no input from keyboard while booting and I cannot choose any option. Not even when the LiveCD menu appears. Why can that be?
        Is there any way to somehow make the system return to the previous kernel from the LiveCD?
        Boy, it's been all joy for me since 15.04...

Comment

OK, I just plug the keyboard off and on again and it's working fine (?). I got to GRUB and I booted 3.19.0-25 with no problems.
          This is the first time I have a non-working kernel... I'll read around a little and see what's to do.
          By the way, I'm using the fglrx AMD video driver for a Cedar Radeon card (according to System Settings). Does that have anything to do with the new kernel problem then?
          Thanks!

Comment

Yeah maybe... When I was running Fedora, sometimes the Nvidia driver wouldn't update with a kernel update even when using dkms. The solution then was to drop to a console and run a manual update.

Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2, logging in and running

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
            sudo reboot
            I have never encountered this problem in the Debian family so I don't know if this will work.
            If you're sitting wondering,
            Which Batman is the best,
            There's only one true answer my friend,
            It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Mmm... So I guess I just uninstall the new kernel (3.19.0-26) via Synaptic while using the previous one (3.19.0-25), then update GRUB and that will be it, right? Or should I do anything else before rebooting?

Comment

Well, no need to roll back to 3.19.0-25 kernel in the end. Just as I was about to do it, an update notification popped up for, among other things, the video driver. I just tried and kernel 3.19.0-26 seems to work perfect.
                Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Fernando View Post
                  OK, I just plug the keyboard off and on again and it's working fine (?). I got to GRUB and I booted 3.19.0-25 with no problems.
                  This is the first time I have a non-working kernel... I'll read around a little and see what's to do.
                  By the way, I'm using the fglrx AMD video driver for a Cedar Radeon card (according to System Settings). Does that have anything to do with the new kernel problem then?
                  Thanks!
                  This is interesting. I am running the AMD graphics card also and the fglrx driver. I haven't received any mention of an update. Will have to check that out with the Catalyst Control Center.

Comment

Okay - I booted the muon package manager and uninstalled fglrx (first I opened the systems settings and then the driver manager and switched from fglrx to X.org display driver), then installed fglrx again, then rebooted.

3.19.0.26 booted up fine. So I guess there was some kind of incompatability between the kernal and the version of fglrx I was running.

Comment

Working...
                    X