This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel not showing

I am on 15.04 Plasma 5.3 with the backports PPA on. While the desktop was working almost perfectly, I decided to install a plasma 5 theme and just copied the unzipped directory to /usr/themes via konsole. As soon as I closed Konsole and opened setting from K menu, it showed an error that there is no module. I hope I am correct with the error message.

Since then the KDE panel is not showing any widgets nor it is possible to run any command. mo wallpapers are showing. But KMail is auto opening.

Tried rebooting and reinstalling display driver via konsole. Situation remains same, I can't use the desktop. Please help to resolve the issue.

Deleting whatever it is you manually installed sounds like a good start.

Comment

What theme? Where did you get it from? Is /usr/themes a valid directory for plasma themes?

We'd probably need more precise descriptions of the commands and steps you used.

Alt-f2 does not work to run programs?

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
        Deleting whatever it is you manually installed sounds like a good start.
        Yes, done that. Removed that directory from Konsole. It didn't work.

Is this issue related to user privilege because it happened right after I used sudo.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          What theme? Where did you get it from? Is /usr/themes a valid directory for plasma themes?

We'd probably need more precise descriptions of the commands and steps you used.

Alt-f2 does not work to run programs?
          I downloaded the theme from KDE-look (probably breeze-flat) extracted it, opened dolphin as root from terminal and dragged the theme directory from user dolphin window to root dolphin window, closed it.

As I have mentioned above later I have removed the theme directory.

Please note that the panel now only shows as a white frame, without any menu / widgets.

Alt+ F2 does open but running command doesn't work. No error message appears though. I am sure that in the background other processes like Skype are running but the UI fails to appear.

Comment

Did you use 'sudo' or 'kdesudo' to launch Dolphin from the terminal?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Did you use 'sudo' or 'kdesudo' to launch Dolphin from the terminal?
              From konsole used sudo.

Comment

...closing the eyes and pressing the trigger...

Is /usr/themes a valid directory for plasma themes?

NO !!!!

The safe path is
                ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

From the debian packages the plasma themes are installed to: /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

Comment

Originally posted by arindom View Post
                  From konsole used sudo.
                  Using sudo to launch a GUI application 'can' end up corrupting the behavior of your user /home directory.

Perform a recursive check (list of) your user /home directory to see if ANY files are (now) owned by root.

Comment

The directory '/usr/share/themes' is probably meant for GTK themes. This directory contents are showing ok now.

Comment

Using sudo to launch a GUI application 'can' end up corrupting the behavior of your user /home directory.

Perform a recursive check (list of) your user /home directory to see if ANY files are (now) owned by root.
                      Thanks!! May be that's what have happened. Can you please help with the steps to run to check the /home directory?

Comment

Open a terminal/console and type: ls -laR | grep root and press enter.
                        IF any files within your user /home directory (including sub-directories) are owned by root, they will be listed. Are there any?

Comment

Open a terminal/console and type: ls -laR | grep root and press enter.
                          IF any files within your user /home directory (including sub-directories) are owned by root, they will be listed. Are there any?
                          One file 'ksycoca5' is showing for root. The privileges are -rw-------.

Comment

Where exactly is ksyscoca5 located? ls -laR | grep ksyscoca5

Comment

Where exactly is ksyscoca5 located? ls -laR | grep ksyscoca5
                              Many many thanks Snowhog. The issue is resolved now. The file is in the directory .cache under home directory. Just had to change privilege by running

sudo chown -R username:group ksycoca5

Thanks again for helping resolve this issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X