This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 10 dual boot 14.04 lts

Out of curiosity, I have just updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a dual boot configuration, with Kubuntu 14.04 LTS being the default boot. I just wanted to report that my GRUB configuration is the same, and when I switch on the computer it gives me the normal menu (although Win 10 is still identified as Win 7) and goes directly to Kubuntu if I touch nothing. So there was no need on my part for the boot repair program, although I had it ready just in case. Kubuntu continues to be my main OS--Win 10 is for whatever doesn't run on Linux (such as NASA's Eyes).

Yeah, it sure sounds like the Windows upgrade is not touching the bootloader mechanism or boot menus. Of course, there's ways to refresh GRUB and possibly change the Windows 7 to 10 in the boot menu, BUT ... the rule "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it" should be seriously considered here! Same is true for household plumbing. Thanks for posting this info.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This and a few other posts under another thread seem to verify that dual booting Window 7s are safe for upgrade to Windows 10. However, there is no news on a similar upgrade of a dual booting Windows 8.x system. My search so far does not lead to any reports. A few I found state removal of partitions on there system.

Comment

yes, and @oldgeek -- do you know if your system boots by the legacy BIOS method or the newer UEFI method?
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          yes, and @oldgeek -- do you know if your system boots by the legacy BIOS method or the newer UEFI method?
          I have no idea but suspect it is the legacy BIOS method.

Comment

Hello:
            I just found this article on the MS website. I am still somewhat apprehensive and dare not to try it. I thought that I will seek the opinion of experts on this forum.
            So, what do you think?
            Thanks!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...e-4038ded592b2

Comment

I didn't see anything that would give a reason not to do it, except Windows 10 itself of course.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I didn't see anything that would give a reason not to do it, except Windows 10 itself of course.
                After reading the article carefully a second time, I noted that his example seems to be on a system which has a legacy grub. Down in the comments, it is apparent that with a windows 8 and UEFI grub set-up there is still problem with the upgrade. Since my Win8.1 and Kubuntu14.04 set up is through uefi system, I think that I better still wait.

Comment

Yet another interesting how-to. But again comments indicate not w/o issues:

http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/07/29/wil...-mess-grub-up/

Comment

Working...
                  X