This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox Display Issue

Does any one know how to get firefox to display correctly in KDE. I am using kubuntu 14.04 with a dark theme, and when I use firefox some pages (text boxes) and config pages in firefox are hard to read. Example is if I go to about:config, the first page I can see just fine, but after I click on “I will be careful” the next page is hard to read. It is a black background with dark gray text. I have look and look and I can't find anything that would tell me how to change this so that I can read it. Thanks in advance for the help.

You can change themes. Look for the icon which is three horizontal bars, in the top menu, click it.
    Choose "Customize"
    Choose "Themes" (button on bottom of customize screen.
    Select one of the pre-defined themes
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxhak View Post
      Does any one know how to get firefox to display correctly in KDE. I am using kubuntu 14.04 with a dark theme, and when I use firefox some pages (text boxes) and config pages in firefox are hard to read. Example is if I go to about:config, the first page I can see just fine, but after I click on “I will be careful” the next page is hard to read. It is a black background with dark gray text. I have look and look and I can't find anything that would tell me how to change this so that I can read it. Thanks in advance for the help.
      this is a Quirk with dark system themes (not firefox themes) ,,,,,,,you can try adjusting the text color of the theme you are using to make it a bit brighter and see if it helps.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I use Firefox in 14.04 with a dark theme (FT DeepDark). I used to use LavaFox V2 (Blue, Green, Red) for a long time too.

FT DeepDark is the best dark theme I've found so far, and I have tried a few. Everything is quite legible in this theme. It does display grey text on a dark background but it's still OK to read for me. I wonder if the problem you are having is with the system theme text as Vinny said.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxhak View Post
          ... firefox ... with a dark theme... hard to read...
          As others have advised, a better dark theme will help a lot. With Rod J's recommendation, about:config is good.

But, there are lots of sites that are intolerant of themes with a dark background, because they leave the background to the theme but override the foreground colour, or vice versa. For these, you have to have "Override the colours specified by the page with my selections above" set to "Always", and this setting removes information from many sites, and can look awful.

My solution is the "ColorToggle" add-on. It lets you toggle quickly between two colour schemes, one of which the override setting is "always" and the other never. So if you get a page with dark grey text on a black background, just click the button to read the text. Often it's an input field.

Another problem is sites that ignore your theme altogether, like this one, kubuntu forums. For it I use the Invert desktop effect, with a key chord. I'm typing this as white text on black. No good for sites with images, though.

Lastly, the Stylish add-on is a whole world of skinning websites, and it has a lot of dark styles. Checkout userstyles.org.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have tried all of the suggestions and so far jlittle's advice is working the best for me. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X