This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Canadian keyboard map?

I think I have figured out how to set my locale and choose the Canadian French keyboard using the System Settings services in Kubuntu. I can now switch from French to US English using the indicator in the panel. I am able to type some accented characters using the dead key method I am used to ('a yields à, for instance).

Great.

However, some other things don't work like I am used to. I cannot get the circonflex accent (^), nor some other common ones.

Where can I find a Kubuntu keyboard map of this keyboard, so I know at least which keys SHOULD work? I've been all over the web, and there are as many different layouts as there are sites, it would seem.

Thanks.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

All:

OK, this turned out to be easier than I thought.

When I first had to change a keyboard some years ago, I had to create my own, and install it manually. This whole system is now deprecated. However, I did not know that until recently.

The new way uses the control panel, and is drop dead easy. System Settings | Input Devices | Keyboard | Layouts Tab | Check "Configure layouts" | Add

Once a keyboard layout is added, one just clicks the "Preview" button to the far right of the "Add" button, and you get the keyboard map.

I had to take a screenshot of the layout and then print that, and unfortunately, the dark theme makes it hard to see when printed, and the characters are too large for the space available, cutting off some of the character, but it works. One can also select variants on the keyboard layouts, as there is 'more than one way to skin a cat' it would seem. I was happy to find a legacy French Canadian keyboard layout that is close to what I have been used to.

Now I will (one of these days) have to look into what is involved in editing and/or creating new keyboard layouts, as the ones available still don't suit exactly what I need, and at least one language I want is not even available. But then, this is Linux, right? Ought to be able to do ANYTHING with it.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
    X