Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good package for adware/spyware/popups?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a good package for adware/spyware/popups?

My computer is slow enough but constantly now on firefox it opens up new tabs, pops up with an ad for products that sometimes the 'x' won't even do anything for and I want to Kill them all, now

Thank you for your assistance

NoScript - somewhat high maintenance in that it blocks by default and it is up to you to Allow things. Many, many sites will barely load until you Allow them; or don't and move on to another site.

AdBlockPlus - there are several - AdBlock, uMicro, and others that claim they are lighter weight, use less memory, etc.

Comment

I have popup blocking set in Firefox preferences:

aboutreferences#content

It doesn't block all, but certainly many.

I've also installed Ghostery, from the FF add-ons list.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I've used AdBlockPlus for years.

It seems to block just about anything that you don't want by default, without having to manually tune it much to allow a few wanted popups.
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
        X