Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail and Google: What's the point of making me read every email three times???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail and Google: What's the point of making me read every email three times???

I'm trying to use Kmail, but it irritates me in so many ways. Here's my current gripe:

Gmail account has "Inbox" below "Google Mail" account header. Then below that is "Gmail" with all it's subfolders (All mail, drafts, Important, etc.), then after those more subfolders - most of them repeats of the folders above, just not used. It's bad enough that there are 13 subfolders under Google Mail, but it gets worse. When I receive an email; it shows up in Inbox, All Mail, and usually also in Important (because every douche who sends me an email knows it's important to me).

The problem is, if I read the email in any one box, it's marked read but only in that box. That means I have to mark it again or leave 225 messages unread in the email widget in the systray effectively rendering it useless.

Please tell me I have something mis-configured...

Please Read Me

I think a more important question is "why are you using Gmail anyway?" Gmail created by Google that claims not to be evil then does just that by spying on your personal searches and emails just to make money for itself.

How are you connecting to Gmail, IMAP or POP3?

Comment

IMAP.

I can't understand why 13 folders are necessary and why each email apparently lives in multiple folders without any linking.

I have a vivaldi email (also IMAP) and it has only the requisite 5 folders, so it must be a Gmail configuration or issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

On second thought: Kmail adds together all the unread emails. So each becomes 2 or 3 in the count.

Please Read Me

Comment

Does this answer your question? https://support.google.com/mail/answer/82367?hl=en

Comment

Yeah - as in it shows it's a Gmail issue. I figured out you can right click on the account and select "Manage Local Subscriptions" and turn off folders you don't want to see. By turning off Important and All messages, I get only the new message count from the gmail inbox. Seems to get me to what I want.

Thanks for your input.

Please Read Me

Comment

I still think you should replace Gmail. GMX is a very good alternative to Gmail.

Comment

But what if I like directed advertising? I'd much rather see ads relating to new TV's and computer parts instead of tampons and adult diapers.

Of course, I use a hosts file to block all that anyway so I rarely see any ads and I use SRWare Iron so most of my tracking is limited.

If Google gives me free email, mapping, navigation, photo backup, phone backup, address book and contact management, multi-device syncing, etc., etc., et al, why shouldn't they get something for it? AFAIK, Google has been rather useful to me, cost me nothing, and done nothing harmful to me. What have they done harmful to you?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  What have they done harmful to you?
                  Sold me down the river

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    But what if I like directed advertising? I'd much rather see ads relating to new TV's and computer parts instead of tampons and adult diapers.
                    That's not what you told me at the restaurant a few months ago

GMail's concept of labels, where a single message can have multiple labels, and thus appear in multiple lists, doesn't exactly match 1:1 to IMAP's concept of folders, where a message typically lives in only one place.

Comment

Hey Steve, I thought that was between us! LOL...

As usual, my bitching preceded my discovery of the information needed to solve my issue <rolls eyes>

No offence Nick - and I don't disagree with your opinion of corporate America - but your response is lacking in substance.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X