This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    Hm. You're posting in the Trusty (11.04) forum, but the file name of the VirtualBox download includes "raring," which leads me to believe either it may be too old or your computer may not be running Trusty.
    The package is likely downloaded directly from virtualbox (generally newer than what's available in the ubuntu repos), it's the same package download for all Raring+ versions of ubuntu

Also, those left-over config files are for 64-bit packages, sparking Kubicle's observation in post #5 that you have a 64-bit system and shouldn't be installing 32-bit binaries. However, the error message in your post #13 appears to indicate that you don't have a 64-bit system. So things look somewhat confusing for us at the moment.
    The error looks like a guest system error, the host system linux is almost certainly 64-bit, but for some reason the guest system installation (Windows) doesn't recognize the virtual machine as 64-bit. Could be a bug or possibly CPU virtualization technology (VT-x/AMD-V) is not enabled/functional:

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      The package is likely downloaded directly from virtualbox (generally newer than what's available in the ubuntu repos), it's the same package download for all Raring+ versions of ubuntu

The error looks like a guest system error, the host system linux is almost certainly 64-bit, but for some reason the guest system installation (Windows) doesn't recognize the virtual machine as 64-bit. Could be a bug or possibly CPU virtualization technology (VT-x/AMD-V) is not enabled/functional:
      This confused me as well. I had a 64 bit system but when I tried to open a Windows machine it always cam up as Windows 32. A friend gave me the following and I'm wondering how to use it:

A friend gave me the following. He can't help me much in the use of it.
      So is there someone who can give me a help up and hopefully get Windows XP working on my Virtual Box.
      Hope springs eternal...

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.20-96996 15.2 MB
      VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone 10.9 KB
      VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone.vbox-prev 10.9 KB
      VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone-disk1 3.46 GB

All of the above are enclosed in a folder called:

VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone

Thank you for everyone who has reached out to help me with this problem. elder73

Comment

Might be useful: Unable to have 64 bit OS in Virtual Box
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hm. You're posting in the Trusty (11.04) forum, but the file name of the VirtualBox download includes "raring," which leads me to believe either it may be too old or your computer may not be running Trusty. We can help you get to your desired end state, but let's check a few things first. What's the output of:
          Code:
          lsb_release -a

uname -a

Also, those left-over config files are for 64-bit packages, sparking Kubicle's observation in post #5 that you have a 64-bit system and shouldn't be installing 32-bit binaries. However, the error message in your post #13 appears to indicate that you don't have a 64-bit system. So things look somewhat confusing for us at the moment.
          Don't know about the (11.04) forum but following is the result of what you asked:

william78@william78:~$ lsb_release -a
          No LSB modules are available.
          Distributor ID: Ubuntu
          Description: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
          Release: 14.04
          Codename: trusty

william78@william78:~$ uname -a
          Linux william78 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          william78@william78:~$

elder73

Comment

First of all I stripped my machine of everything related to Virtual Box and all the XP files. Reinstalled and when I went to add a new Windows box and all that is available on the list of Windows offerings was 32 bit programmes. You simply cannot get around that. The XP must be stored somewhere internally as it does not ask for a point to a directory where to find the XP file. It does this when there is nothing on my system that is Windows XP. Go figure!

I find all of this very frustrating as on my wife's Windows Notepad, I have a Virtual Box on it that runs Mint. It was all very straight forward in installing it.

Here I am in Linux and have been working at it on and off for four days and have got nowhere. I have the Virtual Box on the screen with nothing in it.

As Scrooge would have it: "Bah Humbug!"
            Last edited by elder73; Dec 21, 2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
              A friend gave me the following. He can't help me much in the use of it.
              So is there someone who can give me a help up and hopefully get Windows XP working on my Virtual Box.
              Hope springs eternal...

Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.20-96996 15.2 MB
              VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone 10.9 KB
              VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone.vbox-prev 10.9 KB
              VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone-disk1 3.46 GB

All of the above are enclosed in a folder called:

VirtualBox-XP-Pro Clone
              Don't use that. Running someone else's virtual machine has risks. We can get you up and running here.

Don't know about the (11.04) forum but following is the result of what you asked:

Code:
              william78@william78:~$ lsb_release -a
              No LSB modules are available.
              Distributor ID: Ubuntu
              Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
              Release:        14.04
              Codename:       trusty

william78@william78:~$ uname -a
              Linux william78 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:11:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              11.04 was a typo. You're running 14.04 as the output of lsb_release shows. And you do, in fact, have a 64-bit kernel running, as the output of uname shows.

First of all I stripped my machine of everything related to Virtual Box and all the XP files. Reinstalled and when I went to add a new Windows box and all that is available on the list of Windows offerings was 32 bit programmes. You simply cannot get around that. The XP must be stored somewhere internally as it does not ask for a point to a directory where to find the XP file. It does this when there is nothing on my system that is Windows XP. Go figure!
              I don't understand. When you type "went ot add a new Windows box," what do you mean, exactly? To build a virtual machine running an operating system, you need to have that operating system's installation media. So for Windows XP, you'll need either the XP CD/DVD or an XP .iso file. Do you have these?

Let's take a look at what you've got now. Please show the output of:
              Code:
              apt-cache policy $(dpkg -l | awk '/virtualbox/ {print $2}')

sudo updatedb && EP=$(locate ExtPack.xml); echo -e "$EP\n"; cat $EP

Comment

I don't understand. When you type "went ot add a new Windows box," what do you mean, exactly? To build a virtual machine running an operating system, you need to have that operating system's installation media. So for Windows XP, you'll need either the XP CD/DVD or an XP .iso file. Do you have these? I meant a Windows Machine. I did have some XP iso's but wiped them off. It is easy to get them again.

Let's take a look at what you've got now. Please show the output of:
                Code:
                apt-cache policy $(dpkg -l | awk '/virtualbox/ {print $2}')

sudo updatedb && EP=$(locate ExtPack.xml); echo -e "$EP\n"; cat $EP
                Following is the result of the two commands that you sent. Since last we spoke I found Virtaul Box in the Kubuntu Muon repository and that is what is running now.

Code:
                william78@william78:~$ apt-cache policy $(dpkg -l | awk '/virtualbox/ {print $2}')
                virtualbox:
                  Installed: 4.3.10-dfsg-1
                  Candidate: 4.3.10-dfsg-1
                  Version table:
                 *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                        500 [url]http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] trusty/multiverse amd64 Packages
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                virtualbox-4.3:
                  Installed: (none)
                  Candidate: (none)
                  Version table:
                     4.3.20-96996~Ubuntu~raring 0
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                virtualbox-dkms:
                  Version table:
                 *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                        500 [url]http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] trusty/multiverse amd64 Packages
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                virtualbox-qt:
                  Version table:
                 *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

william78@william78:~$ sudo updatedb && EP=$(locate ExtPack.xml); echo -e "$EP\n"; cat $EP
                [sudo] password for william78: 
                /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/ExtPack.xml
                /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/VNC/ExtPack.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
                <VirtualBoxExtensionPack xmlns="http://www.virtualbox.org/VirtualBoxExtensionPack" version="1.0">
                    <Name>Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack</Name>
                    <Description>USB 2.0 Host Controller, Host Webcam, VirtualBox RDP, PXE ROM with E1000 support.</Description>
                    <Version revision="96996">4.3.20</Version>
                    <MainModule>VBoxPuelMain</MainModule>
                    <VRDEModule>VBoxVRDP</VRDEModule>
                    <ShowLicense/>
                </VirtualBoxExtensionPack>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
                <VirtualBoxExtensionPack xmlns="http://www.virtualbox.org/VirtualBoxExtensionPack" version="1.0">
                    <Name>VNC</Name>
                    <Description>VNC plugin module</Description>
                    <Version revision="93012">4.3.10</Version>
                    <MainModule>VBoxVNCMain</MainModule>
                    <VRDEModule>VBoxVNC</VRDEModule>
                    <ShowLicense/>
                </VirtualBoxExtensionPack>
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 22, 2014, 12:24 AM. Reason: added CODE tags

Comment

OK, so it appears that at one point you were using the VirtualBox repository or manually downloaded the package from there. What gives it away is that your package cache contains 4.3.20-96996~Ubuntu~raring. I have the same one installed, and even though the name contians "raring," the package actually works on Raring, Saucy, Trusty, and Utopic.

The verison you have installed now, 4.3.10, is a number of versions behind current. This is probably OK, but the VirtualBox maintenance releases generally contain good under-the-covers fixes. If you plan on using VirtualBox daily (like I do), switching back to their repository would be a good idea. You would uninstall all currently installed VirtualBox packages and follow the instructions for Debian-based distributions. There's only one part of their instructions I don't like: they indicate that you should edit /etc/apt/sources.list. It's not a good idea to manually edit this file for adding third-party repositories. It's much better to create a dedicated file in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ That's what I've done, as you can see here:
                  Code:
                  steve@t520:~$ [B]cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list[/B]
                  deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian utopic contrib
                  My file is virtualbox.list and contains the line indicated in the instructions. Mine refereces utopic as that's the release I'm running. Yours would be trusty. You can name the file anything you want; the extension must be .list.

Anyway... it appears you have the correct stuff installed. Now, as for creating a Windows XP virtual machine, you'll need Windows XP installation media. I have no clue where you'd find that now, since it's been pulled off the market. Anything you might find on BitTorrent or other file sharing sites should be regarded as untrustworthy.

Comment

's much better to create a dedicated file in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ That's what I've done, as you can see here:
                    Code:
                    steve@t520:~$ [B]cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list[/B]
                    deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian utopic contrib
                    My file is virtualbox.list and contains the line indicated in the instructions. Mine references utopic as that's the release I'm running. Yours would be trusty. You can name the file anything you want; the extension must be .list .
                    y.
                    Thank you I am beginning, only beginning to understand what I am doing. I wondered how to use that "deb" file. So I will remove the Virtual Box that I have installed and go back and reinstall from the the Virtual Box repository. Then I will add the "deb" as you suggest. As for XP typing Windows XP ISO into Google brings you to quite a number of offerings. Browsing around on youtube I saw other Wordperfects being installed. If I dig around in my disks I will probably find an earlier Wordperfect. The problem is that I don't want to h ave to run it from a disk drive..

Comment

$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
                      Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
                      Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
                      Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS ...done.
                      Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
                      This basically means you have VB installed and it is working. If you ever get a permissions denied error just add sudo in front of the command and try again.

Then I ran the Virtual Box again and got the following.
                      When you write the above statement you confuse me, do you mean you are just starting up VirtualBox OR are you trying to start the XP install or run XP after the install? You never mention anywhere what steps or errors occur while installing windows XP.

Attempting to load an x64 operating system, however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit X86 operating system. Set up cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
                      Thank you.
                      Usually you see this error when you are installing a 32 bit guest (Windows XP) into a VB setup where you have selected 64 bit in the virtualbox "New" setup dialog.
                      You probably have a 32 bit windows iso, dvd and when you start the install into virtualbox you have selected a 64bit install.

My best advise at this point is to take a breath, step back and read up on how to install a guest into VirtualBox.
                      Last edited by anika200; Dec 22, 2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                        My best advise at this point is to take a breath, step back and read up on how to install a guest into VirtualBox.
                        Good advice!

Comment

Well there is good news and not so good news. When I searched my old disc files I found Windows XP Professional. That means also that I have the key to open it.
                          The news that is not so good is that the following Virtual Box removal command always worked up to now. But now:

william78@william78:~$ sudo apt remove virtualbox-4.3
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Package 'virtualbox-4.3' is not installed, so not removed
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 420 not upgraded.

Seems I can't move forward without tripping over my feet.

Comment

Why are you trying to remove VirtualBox?
                            What VirtualBox do you have, please copy this (via copy paste not typing) in a konsole and paste the results in the code tags (the # symbol).
                            Code:
                            VirtualBox --help

Comment

Well there is good news and not so good news. When I searched my old disc files I found Windows XP Professional. That means also that I have the key to open it.
                              The news that is not so good is that the following Virtual Box removal command always worked up to now. But now:

william78@william78:~$ sudo apt remove virtualbox-4.3
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              Package 'virtualbox-4.3' is not installed, so not removed
                              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 420 not upgraded.

Seems I can't move forward without tripping over my feet.
                              That's because you don't have the package virtualbox-4.3 installed. For reference, here's the output of that apt-cache command I asked you to run earlier. In particular, note the lines in bold red:
                              Code:
                              william78@william78:~$ apt-cache policy $(dpkg -l | awk '/virtualbox/ {print $2}')
                              [B][COLOR="#B22222"]virtualbox:
                                Installed: 4.3.10-dfsg-1[/COLOR][/B]
                                Version table:
                               *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                                      500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/multiverse amd64 Packages
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                              [b][COLOR="#008000"]virtualbox-4.3:
                                Installed: (none)
                                Candidate: (none)
                                Version table:
                                   4.3.20-96996~Ubuntu~raring 0
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status[/COLOR][/B]
                              virtualbox-dkms:
                                Version table:
                               *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                              virtualbox-qt:
                                Version table:
                               *** 4.3.10-dfsg-1 0
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                              Notice the name of the installed package: it's virtualbox. The packages that Ubuntu (actually, Debian) puts together for VirtualBox are broken into various parts. virtualbox contains only the virtualization system. virtualbox-dkms contains the source code for the kernel modules, configured to use DKMS for building them and automatically keeping rebuilding them any time you install a new kernel. virtualbox-source contains the source code for the kernel modules without the aid of DKMS. virtualbox-qt contains the graphical user interface for managing virtual machines.

Debian's packages are always behind current versions and take a bit more work to get going. Using the package provided by VirtualBox's repository is much easier. It already includes the source code for the kernel modules and is configured for DKMS. It already includes the GUI. Now, notice the lines in bold green: this indicates that, at some point, you have installed the package from VirtualBox's repository. Either you downloaded this and installed it manually, or you added their repository to your system. We can figure out how by taking a look at your list of package sources. What's the output of
                              Code:
                              grep -R virtualbox /etc/apt/*
                              Don't worry about any "permission denied" or "binary file" lines.
                              Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 22, 2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Now I am getting a bit confused. I keep getting asked why do I want to delete the Virtual Box that I have. Does this mean that I can simply install the latest from the Virtual Box repository over the top of it? You can do that with a lot of updates of Windows files. If not can you give me the command to remove it.

Comment

Working...
                                X