This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu always powers off screen instead of launching screensaver

I can't seem to keep Kubuntu 14.04 from switching off my monitor - instead of just displaying a screensaver or blackening the screen.
    To exlpain, I would prefer my screen to consume less power if I'm not doing anthing for a while. I assume it would use the least power when just being black. I don't want it to actually power off though, because audio comes through its speakers and when I listen to music from the pc, it's interrupted when the screen powers off.
    I switched from "simple lock" ("einfache Sperre", 1st option) to screensaver, because the former has no effect at all, but the latter powers off the screen.
    See below a screenshot of my settings. What's wrong there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	screensav.png
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	648843
    Kubuntu 18.04
    Laptop: Tuxedo InifinityBook Pro v5

If, as the picture looks like, it's an external monitor, it's possible that the monitor itself is turning off -- has it's own powersaving settings.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If, as the picture looks like, it's an external monitor, it's possible that the monitor itself is turning off -- has it's own powersaving settings.
      That's possible. Not sure what you mean by external monitor. This is my desktop PC, it has the monitor attached through VGA. It's actually a TV, an older flatscreen from Samsung with 1366x768 res, but I never use it as TV - only as a computer monitor. Do TVs normally have this kind of power saving functionality?
      This one has a dedicated PC mode when the signal source is switched to VGA in, so I would expect any kind of power saving function to be in line with PC usage, but who knows...
      Last edited by bennypr0fane; Dec 14, 2014, 02:54 PM.
      Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

The Energy Savings settings are primarily for laptops, but you can try unchecking the Screen Energy Saving option.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	EnergySaving.png
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	642637
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Your power saving settings are taking precedence over screensaver settings. I had the same issue, laptop, and set the screensaver time less than the display screen energy saving time. Now I get the screensaver then at the inputted time the screen blanks.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Always consider Occam's Razor
          Rich

Comment

Yes! That's it! as richb also says, it seems that energy saving settings (turn screen OFF) take precedence, and they were set to kick in earlier than the screen saver.
            Thanks for another problem solved!

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            The Energy Savings settings are primarily for laptops, but you can try unchecking the Screen Energy Saving option.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5608[/ATTACH]
            Kubuntu 18.04

Comment

Working...
            X