This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install update or upgrade apps- please help

I get this error when I try to install update or upgrade anything in terminal.

Code:
    [E: Malformed line 61 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (dist parse)
    E: The list of sources could not be read.
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.]
    How do I fix it?
    Last edited by olgarosh; Nov 13, 2014, 02:30 PM.

open the file mentioned: /etc/apt/sources.list musing a text editor
    and post here what is on line 61

It should be easy to fix, but note that to edit the file when we know what to cjange, you will have to run the text editor with admin privileges - kdesudo kate will do t het

Comment

this is line 61 :
      deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu trusty

I uninstalled open office to try to switch back to libreoffice. I don't know if that has anything to do with it

Comment

Looks to me like there's no trusty repo there. If you're not using openoffice any longer, just remark out (put a # in front of...) all the lines referring to openoffice and save.

p.s. Clay - your spell check broken? Not sure how "cjange" applies, but I will enjoy "musing" my text editor... lol
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 13, 2014, 04:46 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

p.s. Clay - your spell check broken? Not sure how "cjange" applies, but I will enjoy "musing" my text editor... lol
          Could be, it's happened rarely, in the past, but I usually catch it. Probably my eyes, I think bifocals are in my future.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like all that really matters

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I've done that and was finally able to update all my apps. I even managed to re-install LibreOffice.
            Now I'm having problems with skype. I did
            Code:
             sudo apt-get autoremove skype
            I downloaded the precise version 4.3.0.37-1 and opened it with a package installer. Gone through all the prompts. When I try to open it, it crashes before opening at all. What can I do to reslove this?

Comment

"autoremove" only works on packages that exist on your system that no longer have dependencies. Use "remove" or "purge".

I'm confused on what you're asking here. You typed "autoremove" but then ask why it crashes? Are you trying to use it or get rid of it??

Please Read Me

Comment

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...n-ubuntu-1404/

Please Read Me

Comment

I had an older version of skype that also didn't work so I thought if I get rid of it and install a newer one it will work?

Comment

I just followed the steps here http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...n-ubuntu-1404/
                    I have the same issue. II can see it in my apps on start. Not in Muon, and when I click it it starts with the little pulsing blue S and then disappears. I never even get to the log in page

Comment

Working...
                    X