This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems Updating to KDE Applications and Development Platform 4.14

I installed KDE Applications and Development Platform 4.14 using Backports. But under "About KDE" it says I have Platform Version 14.13.3. Should I worry about this?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Ranger33; Oct 02, 2014, 12:09 AM.

Okay, well I looked again and it said packages were being "held back." Did some research, and found that I should do a dist-upgrade to install. It looks as if this fixed it.

Comment

Yup, Always do a dist-upgrade. It is the official way to keep up to date in *buntu
      dist-upgrade installs both updated packages as well as new packages these updates need .
      Running just upgrade will only install upgraded packages, but not any new ones, such as new things that a new KDE may need, or new kernels that may be be released.

Comment

Okay, thanks. Makes sense now.
        For some reason, I always thought that dist-upgrade was going to upgrade my kubuntu to the next release so I never really used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger33 View Post
          For some reason, I always thought that dist-upgrade was going to upgrade my kubuntu to the next release so I never really used it.
          The new "apt" command (not as "low-level" as apt-get according to its man page) changes the command to "full-upgrade" perhaps because of that confusion. "do-release-upgrade" is the command to go to a new release, a separate python script.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

The new "apt" command (not as "low-level" as apt-get according to its man page) changes the command to "full-upgrade" perhaps because of that confusion. "do-release-upgrade" is the command to go to a new release, a separate python script.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Okay, thanks. Makes sense now.
              the man page of apt-get describes the differences between upgrade and dist-upgrade quite well.

The newer apt command that jlittle mentioned changes the commands slightly:
              'apt upgrade' == 'apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs' (will upgrade packages that require installation of new packages)
              'apt full-upgrade' == 'apt-get dist-upgrade' (will also upgrade packages that require uninstallation of currently installed packages)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                the man page of apt-get describes the differences between upgrade and dist-upgrade quite well.

The newer apt command that jlittle mentioned changes the commands slightly:
                'apt upgrade' == 'apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs' (will upgrade packages that require installation of new packages)
                'apt full-upgrade' == 'apt-get dist-upgrade' (will also upgrade packages that require uninstallation of currently installed packages)
                And to note that the apt-get commands still work as well, so when users upgrade to 14.10, it will work the same.

Comment

Working...
                X