Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ve read Snoghog's suggestion but it seems a bit complicated for a casual user as myself. I am worried I am going to make it worse trying some of those suggestions.

Comment

When you are at your black screen, does Ctrl+Alt+F1 take you to a tty for logging in?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think you could try booting into recovery mode and then chose the fail safe graphics option to get you into a GUI and then fix your driver problem.

or wile looking at the grub boot screen and with your normal boot line highlighted press e to edit it ,,,,,,,,use the arow keys to get the curser to the end of the "kernel" line and right after quiet splash add vga=vesa nomodset ,,,,,,then press ctrl+x to boot it .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

ok. so go back to square one

1. sudo apt-get install fglrx

2. after installation run aticonfig --initial (something i didnt mention before because i've never had to do this in kubuntu)

3. reboot

4. if still black screen go to Ctrl-alt F1 , run lsmod | grep fglrx = this should show module loaded

5. if 4 is ok. then it's an X config issue, hopefully aticonfig --initial sorted it out
          K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

While the ubuntu documentation is not that old... you should consider using the AMD instructions: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ler-Notes.aspx

And for by distro instructions this wiki is pretty good: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Categoryistributions
            Last edited by otisklt; Sep 07, 2014, 11:49 PM. Reason: additional info
            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
            X