This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen goes black after 20 minutes

Hello, I have Kubuntu 14.04 on laptop. The screen saver is disabled but still I get a black screen after 20 minutes. I search internet for two days but I could not find anything.

The first thing to check, is the screen power management settings in SystemSettings>PowerManagement (separate tabs for AC connected, battery and low battery)

Comment

Yeah the screen saver is disabled

Comment

Ok, so powermanagement is disabled in Systemsettings. Since you talked about "screen saver" I thought you meant you had disabled screen locker (in SystemSettings>Display>ScreenLock).

what does the command xset q report? (The relevant sections of the output are "Screen Saver" and "DPMS")

Comment

Code:
          Keyboard Control:  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
            XKB indicators:
              00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    on     02: Scroll Lock: off
              03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
              06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
              09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
              12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
            auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
            auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                                  fadfffefffedffff
                                  9fffffffffffffff
                                  fff7ffffffffffff
            bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
          Pointer Control:
            acceleration:  20/10    threshold:  4
          Screen Saver:
            prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
            timeout:  0    cycle:  600
          Colors:
            default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
          Font Path:
            /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins,/home/orestis/.fonts
          DPMS (Energy Star):
            Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1500    Off: 1800
            DPMS is Enabled
            Monitor is On

Comment

Originally posted by orestis View Post
            Code:
            DPMS (Energy Star):
              Standby: 1200    Suspend: 1500    Off: 1800
              DPMS is Enabled
              Monitor is On
            Well that's odd, DPMS is still enabled and the standby timeout is set to 1200 seconds (20 minutes).

Here's a couple of things you can try:
            1. Try enabling "turn off display" (in systemsettings>powermanagement) and then apply changes. After that, disable it again and apply changes. Is there any change to "xset q" output?
            2. If that doesn't work, try running "xset -dpms" to turn of DPMS (you can also run "xset dpms 0 0 0" to change the timeouts to 0). This is for testing only at this point, the setting won't survive a reboot.
            Last edited by kubicle; Aug 26, 2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

well I enable and disable everything and no it works. Thank you (y)

Comment

Working...
              X