Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Generate List Of User Installed Applications?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generate List Of User Installed Applications?

Hi,

I am on my new desktop now and got everything I need installed.
    I want to install Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit onto my thin client now.
    I there a way to generate a list of user installed applications?
    (applications installed after OS install)
    I wish to have same applications installed on desktop to be installed onto thin client.
    (I can't remember all of them, so would like a list)

Thanks!

Jesse
    Last edited by JeZ-l-Lee; Aug 25, 2014, 04:56 AM.

You can generate a listing of every package you have installed (but not just those you installed "afterwards") by using this command from the console:
    dpkg --get-selections

Code:
           To make a local copy of the package selection states:
                dpkg --get-selections >myselections

You  might  transfer  this  file  to  another  computer,  and  after  having  updated  the  available  file  there  with  your  package   manager   frontend   of   choice   (see
           https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ for more details), for example:
                avail=`mktemp`
                apt-cache dumpavail >"$avail"
                dpkg --merge-avail "$avail"
                rm "$avail"
           you can install it with:
                dpkg --clear-selections
                dpkg --set-selections <myselections

Note  that  this will not actually install or remove anything, but just set the selection state on the requested packages. You will need some other application to actually down‐
           load and install the requested packages. For example, run apt-get dselect-upgrade.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

One can also do the same thing from Muon package manager's File menu............

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        One can also do the same thing from Muon package manager's File menu............
        Hi,

I saved the installed programs using Muon Package Manager and get a text file.
        How I load the text file on the other computer?

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

muon -> file -> read markings ? . Tried it doesn't work.
          Muon -> file -> download packages from list?

you can do it via dpkg also it will work nicely if your using not kubuntu on your other machines (as muon is mostly kubuntu only)
          Last edited by sithlord48; Aug 27, 2014, 04:10 PM.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Yes, Muon will do it. However, it will leave out any manual installs. For example, I installed a subtitle editing program named Jubler. It's Java-based and I simply put it in a folder, set its permissions to allow it to run, and then manually edited its icon into the launcher. That one won't show up.

(And, btw, only do such a thing with an application you really trust. I know Jubler is safe; plus, I don't use it that much.)
            Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
            ================================

Comment

FAQ: How to get list of installed packages: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...alled-packages
              --> Ubuntu Forums Thread: Aptitude list manually installed packages: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299122
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Working...
              X