This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flipflip47 View Post
    The problem is not if it is nonsensical, the problem is that I want to know how it can be accomplished...Who knows, I might make another kde system and see if I can accomplish what I want to do. I do not want to break anything on this system. Thanks again guys.
    You aren't comprehending what we've written. Please re-read the following:

Post #4: "...no password prompt is required...by design."
    Post #6: "Entering a password is required [only] whenever you need to cross a security boundary."
    Post #8: "There is no mechanism to do what you're asking."
    Post #12: "It is not possible to do what you want."

You can try all various KDE-based distributions in the world and they will behave exactly the way Kubuntu does in this regard. There is no built-in mechanism in KDE to raise password prompts for per-user system settings configuration objects.

To solve the issue of forgetting to lock your PC when you walk away, you can put a timer on the screen locker. Enable Start automaticaly after to whatever threshold you like. Leave Require password after at 1 second.

Multiple user accounts exist precisely to help you accomplish your stated goal. We have mentioned this twice. Please accept this as the correct solution.

Comment

You seem to getting into it does not make sense to do it, rather than finding a way to do it. Having said that, I realize you said you do not know, or it cannot be done.
      It isn't that it doesn't make sense to do it. It's that, given that it isn't possible to do, it doesn't make sense to try.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        It isn't that it doesn't make sense to do it. It's that, given that it isn't possible to do, it doesn't make sense to try.
        I feel that if we continue with this it will turn into an arguement. If you would have finished my quote you would see that i did indeed understand. The "it doesn't make sense to try." comment was not necessary in my opinion as making sense is not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          You aren't comprehending what we've written. Please re-read the following:

Post #4: "...no password prompt is required...by design."
          Post #6: "Entering a password is required [only] whenever you need to cross a security boundary."
          Post #8: "There is no mechanism to do what you're asking."
          Post #12: "It is not possible to do what you want."

You can try all various KDE-based distributions in the world and they will behave exactly the way Kubuntu does in this regard. There is no built-in mechanism in KDE to raise password prompts for per-user system settings configuration objects.

To solve the issue of forgetting to lock your PC when you walk away, you can put a timer on the screen locker. Enable Start automaticaly after to whatever threshold you like. Leave Require password after at 1 second.

Multiple user accounts exist precisely to help you accomplish your stated goal. We have mentioned this twice. Please accept this as the correct solution.
          Again, not really the issue. I understand, you said that it cannot be done, I get that. So, lets leave it at that.

Comment

I feel that if we continue with this it will turn into an arguement. If you would have finished my quote you would see that i did indeed understand. The "it doesn't make sense to try." comment was not necessary in my opinion as making sense is not the issue.
            Just because I didn't quote the rest of what you wrote doesn't mean I didn't read it - it genuinely wasn't clear to me whether you'd accepted that the method you wanted to use to achieve your aim isn't possible. To be honest, I'm still not clear on that.

(Edit) It's clear that you accept that nobody who has responded to this thread believes that it can be done. What isn't clear is if you now share that belief.
            Last edited by HalationEffect; Jul 18, 2014, 08:09 PM. Reason: Clarification. 2nd edit: noticed I'd written "post" where I'd meant to write "thread".
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Restrictions & root password

KDE System Administration Kiosk

https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_...k/Introduction
              Introduction

The KDE Kiosk is a framework that has been built into KDE since version 3. It allows administrators to create a controlled environment for their users by customizing and locking almost any aspect of the desktop which includes the benign such as setting and fixing the background wallpaper, the functional such as disabling user log outs and access to the print system and the more security conscientious such as disabling access to a command shell...
              KDE Control Module Restrictions : https://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_...e_Restrictions
              Almost all aspects of the K Desktop Environment can be configured and customized through the "Control Centre". Each "group" of settings, such as "Background", "Colours", "Fonts", etc , correspond to a control centre module and each of these modules can be locked down through the Kiosk framework...

Root password

The root password query for the KDE control modules can be enabled by adding the
              Code:
              X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true
              to KDE control module desktop file/1/

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

Links

1. Desktop Entry Specification: http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thank you very much Rog132 for helping me find what I was looking for. This is exactly what I wanted.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 19, 2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I had thought about the kiosk mode, but in reality all it does is add a layer of work to what you'll have to do anyway. You will still need to create a separate user account for the kiosk mode, and log your PC into that account when visitors need to use your computer. Effectively, the kisok mode can prevent visitors from changing the per-user settings of the guest account -- but ask yourself, does this matter? Also, configuring it is not so easy now -- the kiosktool mentioned in the article is only for KDE 3.5; it was never updated for KDE 4. You will need to make many, many changes to the files in that account's $KDEHOME.

Also, using X-KDE-SubstituteUID=true has a side effect: it actually elevates the module to root (or whatever othre user you specify). In this case, you'll be editing the per-user settings of the root account, not of your own account, which is not at all what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X