Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Need Of Great WYSIWYG Website Builder On Kubuntu...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Need Of Great WYSIWYG Website Builder On Kubuntu...

Hi,

I have a small and simple website which requires periodic updating.
    I don't know how to write HTML4 code to update this small and simple website.

I am looking for a WYSIWYG(WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet) website builder application
    compatible with current Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.

In the past I've been using Microsoft Expressions Web 4 which is now free.
    I'd rather update the small and simple website natively in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit
    and not have to boot up a Geniune Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit Virtual Machine.

I've tried Kompozer Linux application and it's sort of what I am looking for
    but Kompozer is a little buggy and has not been updated in over 4 years.

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

The only up-to-date etc. wysiwyg-editor working on LInux is BlueGriffon. Here are two threads in which you'll find more information:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...yg-html-editor
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-menus-trashed
    Kompozer is really, really, really far too old to be usable.

Comment

Theres also Bluefish.

Comment

Bluefish is no wysiwyg-editor. If you want to code by hand, it's an alternative. It has some nice features, but one (very big) drawback: no built-in validator. To validate you have to use an external validator, so you don't see an error the moment you make it, like in Komodo Edit.

And I don't mean this unfriendly, but before pointing to other editors, please read that two threads. In it there are also links to other sites with lots of information. In those threads are also lots of reasons why almost no wysiwyg-editor is usable on Linux. It takes a lot of time to repeat every time all arguments against and in favor of a certain editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
          The only up-to-date etc. wysiwyg-editor working on LInux is BlueGriffon. Here are two threads in which you'll find more information:
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...yg-html-editor
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-menus-trashed
          Kompozer is really, really, really far too old to be usable.
          Hi,

I tried BlueGriffon using the DEB's on the website you provided.
          It crashes when trying to select a menu item on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.
          __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
          jezxlee@jezxlee-B85M-HD3:~$ bluegriffon

(process:4430): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
          *** LOG addons.xpi: startup
          *** LOG addons.xpi: checkForChanges
          *** LOG addons.xpi-utils: Opening database
          *** LOG addons.xpi: No changes found
          ###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/glazou/trees/official1.7/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
          ###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /home/glazou/trees/official1.7/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
          Segmentation fault (core dumped)
          jezxlee@jezxlee-B85M-HD3:~$
          __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Anyone have any other ideas?
          Thanks!

Jesse
          Last edited by JeZ-l-Lee; Jul 15, 2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Did some research about crash of BlueGriffon on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.
            Changing GTK Theme to something other than "Oxygen" make the crash go away:

Jesse

Comment

Ah, nice you got it working! There was somebody else whit this menu problem too, but I'm no Linux expert, so I can't help with that.
              I have no experience myself with BlueGriffon. I'd really like to see what you think about it. Since you got it working, this may help other people here too, because this question comes by regularly.

Comment

I've never tried them myself but have a look at
                http://kompozer.net/
                http://net2.com/nvu/

Edit: Oops! I've just read the OP again, forget the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
                  Ah, nice you got it working! There was somebody else whit this menu problem too, but I'm no Linux expert, so I can't help with that.
                  I have no experience myself with BlueGriffon. I'd really like to see what you think about it. Since you got it working, this may help other people here too, because this question comes by regularly.
                  Hi,

BlueGriffon is excellent WYSIWYG website building application despite the crashing on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.
                  (the crashing on Kubuntu can be fixed by changing the GTK themes to something other than "Oxygen")

The default version has most things a website developer would need,
                  but to get some more advanced features you must buy add-on's that cost money.
                  (even the instruction manual is not free and must be purchased?)
                  I wanted an FTP based project manager for BlueGriffon so I bought "Project Manager" for about $12 USD.
                  (NOTE: Had a problem with setup... make sure to type: "ftp.YourSiteName.com" instead of "ftp://YourSiteName.com" in setup)

I've looked at about every website building application for Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.
                  Most don't even run on Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit due to lack of updates.
                  BlueGriffon is clearly the best website building application for Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64Bit.
                  It should be added to MUON Discover (Software Center) ASAP...

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

I always wrote my HTML scripts with an HTML sensitive editor, like Kate or Kwrite, setting the markup highlighting to HTML.
                    I'd manually edit my HTML script, save it, and then refresh the browser pointing to that file. I kept another tab of the browser open to the W3C HTML (or now HTML5? Pick your poison...) instruction page as a reference. I used cascade sheets, JavaScript (not Java, which I hate) for look&feel and functions, etc...

The process was easy: code, save, alt-tab, refresh, examine results, alt-tab back to editor, etc...

The big advantage is that you learned HTML, cascade and JavaScript scripting.

The disadvantage of the WYSIWYG editors are that they are actually WYSIWTWLYW (What You See Is What They Will Let You Write). Up to the time I retired six years ago I had never found an editor that implemented all of the capabilities of HTML and they usually forced me to start out with a template frame which I found myself forced to modify. Ergo, I decided to start from scratch.

Now, I read that folks are using QML, part of QtQuick, or Joomla, or Drupal, or Wordpress or other Content Management Systems.
                    Have you looked into those. I am not sure about wordpress but the rest are open source and free.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X