This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three LibreOffice wizards don't work

I've tried this post on the regular Ubuntu board, but the response I got was crickets and so I'll try it here. I did get a response on the LibreOffice board, but have not solved the problem. The person over there thinks these wizards' failure to run has to do with the Kubuntu version of LibreOffice. You can see the conversation there at this link:

http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/8508

The wizards that don't work are the first three: Letter, Fax, and Agenda, which I originally thought were written in Java, but they're actually written in Python. Here's my original post. If anyone knows what the problem is and how I can get these to work, I would be grateful for the help.

My original post:

I can’t seem to get all the wizards working in LibreOffice writer. The ones that don’t work are Letter, Fax, and Agenda. All the other ones do work. I searched the web and found this post on the topic:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1778814”: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1778814

In that thread, they advocate installing libreoffice-java-common with this command:

sudo aptitude install libreoffice-java-common

I tried that and got a message that something was wrong, the process was interrupted, and that I needed to do this:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Instead, I went into Synaptic Package Manager, and it burped. It told me the same thing. So I ran: sudo dpkg —configure -a. It fixed Synaptic Package Manager so that I could open it and look to see if I had libreoffice-java-common installed or not. Turns out I do. There it was right on the Synaptic list near LibreOffice. I figured I would mark it for a complete uninstall. However, when I tried that, it also marked LibreOffice for a complete uninstall. I didn’t want that, so i cancelled.

Back in the terminal, I went ahead and ran:

sudo aptitude install libreoffice-java-common

This time it ran fine. However, the wizards STILL won’t run in LO Writer. In Writer, I went to Tools > Options > Advanced and verified that “Use a Java runtime environment” was checked. There were two choices, Sun Microsystems and Oracle, and Sun was the one chosen. I switched to Oracle to see if that would make a difference. The wizards still would not work. Finally, in Tools > Options > Advanced I selected “Enable experimental features” to see if that would help. Still no luck.

I’ve done everything I know to do. Why aren’t these wizards working and how can I make them work?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Kubuntu 14.04 is running LibreOffice 4.2.4.2. The patch to fix this problem is in the 4.2.5 release. Exactly how soon it will appear in the Kubuntu repositories I cannot say, but the fix was verified in comment #27 by Vulcain for the 12.04 release just three days ago. Patience is required.

P.S. -- I noticed in the bug report that it affected Win7 installations as well.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Kubuntu 14.04 is running LibreOffice 4.2.4.2. The patch to fix this problem is in the 4.2.5 release. Exactly how soon it will appear in the Kubuntu repositories I cannot say, but the fix was verified in comment #27 by Vulcain for the 12.04 release just three days ago. Patience is required.

P.S. -- I noticed in the bug report that it affected Win7 installations as well.
      That's good news. Thanks. I'll just wait for the fix to show up in the repositories instead of trying to patch it now. For now if I really need the wizard I can run the Windows version.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Working...
      X