This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MySQL server has stopped working.

I am running 14.04 and have a full LAMP installation which I use for website development. I've had this computer for many years and it has had several upgrades during that time. Once before, after an upgrade, the MySQL server stopped working and I managed to find some help on the internet to get it working again. Now, with some recent upgrades , it has again stopped working and I can't remember what I had done before to get it working. I have been looking for a solution on the internet and so far have not been able to find anything helpfull. My first symptom was not being able to connect to any of my databases. When I would try "/etc/init.d/mysql restart" it gave me an error saying it can't connect through socket at /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock. When I looked, there was no directory entry for that file. One suggestion I found was to try "apt-get reinstall mysql." When I tried that, it responded that my version was already up to date. Another suggestion used "sudo touch /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock" and then to chown the resultant file to mysql. That got it passed the first error but now it says :

steve@music-server2:~$ /etc/init.d/mysql restart
    * Stopping MySQL database server mysqld [ OK ]
    df: '/var/lib/mysql/.': Permission denied
    * /etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: The partition with /var/lib/mysql is too full!

I know that my partition is really not too full, so I don't know what's going on.
    I was able to copy my database files to another computer running MySQL and I can access all tha data so I have not lost anything. I know there must be a configuration problem some where but I just don't know where it is. Short of completely removing MySQL and reinstalling it, how can I figure out what is causing this problem?

Same Issue

I have the same exact error. I installed Ubuntu 14.04 clean, installed LAMP, everything works until I try to start mysql and I get

df: '/var/lib/mysql/.': Permission denied * /etc/init.d/mysql: ERROR: The partition with /var/lib/mysql is too full!

Since this is the only thing on a 1TB drive.

There is something I am missing... any help is appreciated.

Comment

How did you install mysql?
      I just did using muon package manager to install mysql-client and mysql-server. (Some kind of mysql used by the system was already installed but didn't work for me).
      You might like to check these:
      Code:
      ! ls -l -d /var /var/lib /var/lib/mysql
      drwxr-xr-x 14 root  root  4096 Aug  5 14:29 /var
      drwxr-xr-x 71 root  root  4096 Sep  1 22:03 /var/lib
      drwx------  5 mysql mysql 4096 Sep  1 22:32 /var/lib/mysql
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Did you use sudo when trying to start your server?

Comment

Working...
        X