This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing keyboard shortcuts from another 14.04 system

Having just installed Kubuntu 14.01 on a new hard drive I would like to import these settings from my old system (which is available as a second HD on my computer).

I think the values are stored in a file somewhere but I can't find it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Where the shortcuts are stored depends on which shortcuts you mean (global shortcuts, standard shortcuts, application shortcuts, hotkeys etc):

~/.kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc (global shortcuts)
    ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc (hotkeys)
    [Shortcuts] -section in ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals (standard shortcuts)
    Application specific shortcuts for kde applications are commonly stored in ~/.kde/share/config/<appname>rc
    Last edited by kubicle; Jun 17, 2014, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks, In fact I had created a lot of 'Custom Shortcuts' - where would I find these?

Comment

Global shortcuts are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/kglobalshortcutsrc; hotkeys in ~/.kde/share/config/khotkeysrc. Per-application shortcuts are stored in .rc files under ~/.kde/share/apps/app_name. These files are similar to XML and it will take more work to find the shortcut definitions.

Comment

Hah. kubicle got his post finished before I did! One thing that's different -- I played around a bit, adding some shortcuts to Dolphin. What I noticed was that ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc did not chnage. The shortcut definitions were stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphinui.rc. I suspect this is typical for all KDE applications.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Hah. kubicle got his post finished before I did! One thing that's different -- I played around a bit, adding some shortcuts to Dolphin. What I noticed was that ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc did not chnage. The shortcut definitions were stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphinui.rc. I suspect this is typical for all KDE applications.
            You're probably right, wrote from memory and didn't check.

Originally posted by bill-lancaster View Post
            Thanks, In fact I had created a lot of 'Custom Shortcuts' - where would I find these?
            These should be hotkeys (if defined in SystemSettings>Shortcuts&Gestures>CustomShortcuts or with kmenuedit for app launchers)

Other shortcuts:
            Standard Shortcuts (common functions that target the app in focus), configured in SystemSettings>Shortcuts&Gestures>StandardShortcut s
            Global Shortcuts (independent of focus), configured in SystemSettings>Shortcuts&Gestures>GlobalShortcuts
            Application specific shortcuts (affect only the app in question), configured in APPLICATION>Settings>ConfigureShortcuts

Also, for completeness, Plasma widget shortcuts are stored in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

Comment

Copied kdeglobals, kglobalshortcutsrc and khotkeysrc but my old shortcuts were still not working.
              Decided to re-boot the system and now they are working.
              Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X