This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu not booting properly

I just installed Kubuntu 14.04 64bit, for a friend on an HP 2000 laptop, it came with uefi and win8, now, I have Kubuntu installed but if I reboot it goes straight to win8, no grub menu, if I hit escape, followed by f9, cursor down to Ubuntu, it will load the grub menu and then open Kubuntu. How can I stop this, secure boot is disabled, legacy was disabled at install time, but changed to enabled, with no help in booting to Kubuntu.

Messing with Windows is always risky, but ...
    Make sure "legacy" is disabled.
    Many users who have Windows also disable Secure Boot (because, they say, it causes more problems than it solves).
    Boot into Kubuntu (the way you said you could).
    Open Konsole. Issue these commands:
    sudo grub-install
    then
    sudo update-grub

See if that gives you a controlling GRUB menu that also shows the option of booting into Windows.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 28, 2015, 05:37 PM. Reason: May users <-- Many users
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

didn't seem to help, when i did update grub it looked like it found everything, just won't give me grub without going through the hoops
      Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	643094
      something looks funny here though
      should I reinstall with secure boot turned back on

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        See if that gives you a controlling GRUB menu that also shows the option of booting into Windows.
        I can get to this grub menu , but I have to go through the bios to do it.

Comment

should I reinstall with secure boot turned back on
          Yes, try that. And Legacy should be turned off (or, turn off CSM, if you see that option in "BIOS" -- IOW, UEFI/EFI should be turned ON). Then re-install Kubuntu. Now, when you install Kubuntu, do so in UEFI mode -- very important -->

To install the Kubuntu OS in UEFI mode
          --> Must be 64-bit Kubuntu OS for UEFI.
          --> You must boot your Kubuntu installer DVD/USB in UEFI mode!

With the DVD/USB installer inserted in the computer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer (F2, F1, F12, etc.).
          Find the boot menu or boot override menu where the bootable devices will be listed.
          Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB choice.
          Look for UEFI/EFI (FAT) or some reference to UEFI.
          Example: My Live Kubuntu DVD installer showed up twice in UEFI BIOS (under Boot Override) as a "normal" DVD writer, and also as:
          UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB) (= my Samsung DVD player).
          Select the UEFI/EFI option from the boot [override] menu.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hopefully, Post #5 will set everything straight.

(backtracking ... I just saw this
            I can get to this grub menu , but I have to go through the bios to do it.
            If you indeed do have Kubuntu installed in UEFI mode, but it is simply out of order, you could change the order of the UEFI Boot entries.
            Boot into Kubuntu,
            sudo efibootmgr
            to see your boot order.
            Then see
            man efibootmgr
            to see how to place your Kubuntu as first in boot order (read toward the end of that man page, down to the examples). Windows should be on that GRUB menu. If not, from within Kubuntu
            sudo update-grub
            should place an entry for Windows on that GRUB menu.

Comment

Post #2 didn't work. I have turned on secure boot, turned off legacy, went into win8 disk management, deleted partition Kubuntu was on, now said unknown or something like that, went to reinstall from disk and briefly saw error and uefi in the same line but continued to install to same partition as before. There is an efi folder on the install disk also. OK, part one of post 6 below, I'm lost now I think looking at "man efibootmgr", gonna "sudo update-grub" and reboot, c what happens.

rcw@rcw-HP2000:~$ sudo efibootmgr
              [sudo] password for rcw:
              BootCurrent: 0000
              Timeout: 0 seconds
              BootOrder: 3001,3000,3002,2001,2002,2003
              Boot0000* ubuntu
              Boot0001* Windows Boot Manager
              Boot0002* Ubuntu
              Boot2001* USB Drive (UEFI)
              Boot2002* Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
              Boot3000* EFI Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
              Boot3001* EFI Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk
              Boot3002* EFI Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk

Comment

rcw@rcw-HP2000:~$ sudo update-grub
                [sudo] password for rcw:
                Generating grub configuration file ...
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-68-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-68-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
                Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
                Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
                done
                rcw@rcw-HP2000:~$

Comment

No dice, went straight to win8 at reboot. I stuck the install dvd in and rebooted, cdrom is first in boot order in bios:

start button
                  hit escape to enter bios
                  hit f9 and get list:
                  1. Internal cd/dvd rom drive (uefi) (when rebooting without dvd in tray this does not show up)
                  2. OS boot manager
                  3. ubuntu
                  4. Ubuntu
                  5. Boot from EFI file

I choose #1 and hit enter, and "could not open \efi\boot\falback.efi "14" or something like that pops up then goes away quickly, then I am asked to install or some other choices.

If I hit f9 and choose #2, obviously boots into win8, #4 boots into win8, #3 takes me into the real grub menu, gives me the version number at the top but don't remember what it was, then I can get into Kubuntu.
                  Even though its not booting properly, Kubuntu still runs a lot better on this machine than win8 does, 1.3g apu with 2g ram, not much.

Comment

[sudo] password for rcw:
                    BootOrder: 3001,3000,3002,2001,2002,2003
                    Boot0000* ubuntu
                    Boot0002* Ubuntu

So boot0000* needs to be before 3001 right,

efibootmgr -o 0,1 ?

Comment

Post #9,
                      No dice, went straight to win8 at reboot.
                      Before doing sudo update-grub, you need to do sudo grub-install: That SHOULD place Kubuntu #1 in BootOrder. Then sudo update-grub should put Windows on the GRUB menu. But I think you are saying that it didn't?

So,

Post #10,
                      So boot0000* needs to be before 3001 right,

efibootmgr -o 0,1 ?
                      Yeah. And, you know, chicken superstition ... I'd go ahead and write,

efibootmgr -o 3000,3001,3002,2001,2002,2003

Just to be sure and safe, not to omit anything (and never omit anything you are not sure of, as it could brick the firmware, so I've read).

Comment

That fact that efibootmgr works for you tells you that Kubuntu is installed in UEFI mode, btw.

Comment

rcw@rcw-HP2000:~$ sudo grub-install
                          [sudo] password for rcw:
                          Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
                          Installation finished. No error reported.
                          rcw@rcw-HP2000:~$ sudo update-grub
                          Generating grub configuration file ...
                          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-68-generic
                          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-68-generic
                          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-32-generic
                          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-32-generic
                          Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
                          Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
                          done
                          BootOrder: 0000,3001,3000,3002,2001,2002,2003 (< that looks promising gonna reboot again)
                          Boot0000* ubuntu

Nope, rebooted into win8 again, after esc and f9, boot option menu still has "os boot manager" on top with ubuntu 2nd on list still,
                          Last edited by Clayman1000x; Nov 29, 2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

BootOrder: 0000,3001,3000,3002,2001,2002,2003 (< that looks promising gonna reboot again)
                            Yes it does look promising! Ubuntu 0000 is first--it is supposed to boot first! Unless your UEFI firmware is messed up (doubtful); unless Windows has screwed with something (who knows); unless ... Ubuntu did boot first but its GRUB boot menu (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) is set to boot straight to Windows by default? I've never heard of that happening, but it looks like it could have happened here. You could inspect /boot/grub/grub.cfg and see if it is set to boot without delay to Windows. Configuring GRUB2 by editing (as root) /etc/default/grub:
                            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...iguring_GRUB_2

It shouldn't be this tricky.

One thing you can do is install the boot manager rEFInd, and let rEFInd run this boot show. I like rEFInd, it is written by the UEFI expert Rod Smith. You can install it right along side all your other stuff (GRUB2, Windows boot manager, whatever), it won't interfere at all, no harm done. When you boot the PC, you'll see a boot menu from rEFInd. If you ever get stuck booting, rEFInd can usually save the day.
                            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
                            Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 29, 2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

My GRUB2 menu shows a 10 second timeout (so you can see the GRUB2 boot menu for 10 seconds), and by default it boots to 0 (which is the position of my Kubuntu -- it is listed first in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg).

In /etc/default/grub, I see
                              Code:
                              [B]GRUB_DEFAULT=0[/B]
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
                              GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
                              [B]GRUB_TIMEOUT=10[/B]
                              Last edited by Qqmike; Nov 29, 2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X