This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Notifier ANNOYING me!

I've set everything up just like I always do on all of my computers, but for some reason when I plug my smartphone into my new laptop, Device Notifier pops up every ~2 minutes to tell me it's plugged in. I KNOW it's plugged in!! How do I stop this? I only want ONE notification, when it's first plugged in. It does NOT do this for the external drives I often plug in; for those, there's one notification and that's it. Like it should be. I've looked at Device Notifier's settings but don't see anything to control this.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

it's probably the phone ,,,,,,,,,,one phone of mine was doing something like this ,,,,,,,,turned out to be the plugin on the phone side was so sensitive/loose that it would intermittently drop the connection for a split second and the system would see this as a unplug/replug ,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks, Vinny, but no, that's not it. The same phone plugged into any of my other computers does not cause this issue. That plus the timing, which seems to be about every two minutes, point to a config issue.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

is dmesg telling anything ?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          is dmesg telling anything ?
          Nothing that strikes me as odd--other than the fact that its timestamps are several minutes ahead of my system time:

Code:
          # dmesg -T
          [Tue Sep  2 15:46:48 2014] Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
          # date
          Tue Sep  2 15:44:20 PDT 2014

Comment

Did you try the options in Device Notifier? Alt-F2 then search for Device is how I found it, maybe it helps. You have to right click in the empty window to get options.
            Last edited by anika200; Sep 09, 2014, 08:55 AM. Reason: added needed number and words to make it useful

Comment

Have you tried a different cable or usb port? I have this exact thing happen on my phone if I use an old cable that does not seat correctly in the phone's port. Does this on the laptop, but works just fine on the PC, and is even more pronounced when using one specific usb port on the lappy.

Comment

Another thing to try. Open a Konsole window, move it near to the edge of the screen, and run udevadm monitor. Now plug in the phone. You should see several lines as Udev queries the device and populates the kernel's device tree. Now go about doing whatever it is you normally do. When the device notifer pops back up, go look in the Konsole window. Do you see any additional output that the device was removed and then re-added?

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions so far. I've temporarily 'solved' the problem--the phone's plugged into a different computer. That was easier than troubleshooting. I'll get back to it eventually, though, so please feel free to add any other ideas/advice you may have.

Comment

Useful to me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rokit View Post
                      Useful to me as well.
                      Are you having the same issue? Annoying, right?!

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                        Are you having the same issue? Annoying, right?!
                        Did you try my suggestion in post https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post357793

You can turn it off.....Let me know if it did not work.

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
                          Did you try my suggestion in post https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post357793

You can turn it off.....Let me know if it did not work.
                          Did you try the options in Device Notifier? Alt-F2 then search for Device is how I found it, maybe it helps. You have to right click in the empty window to get options.
                          No, that doesn't do anything for me. Using [alt][F2] to search for 'device' yields nothing related to Device Notifier.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                            No, that doesn't do anything for me. Using [alt][F2] to search for 'device' yields nothing related to Device Notifier.
                            Really? , please do Alt-F2 and then type "Device Notifier" and then select Device Notifier and press enter.

You will see a blank window appear, right click in there and see if it helps.

Also Once you have this item activated you can find an icon in the taskbar that you can manage notifications with.

Comment

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X