This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KompoZer menus trashed

KompoZer was working great. It's supposed to be the best WYSIWYG HTML editor for Linux. At first it seemed that way when I first installed it about a month or two ago. Now it's menus are trashed. I'll show you what they look like in screen shots.

I tried doing a complete uninstall in the Synaptic Package Manager. Then I did a complete reinstall from the command line with these instructions:
    http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kom...4-12-10-12-04/

No luck. The program reinstalled, but I still have the trashed menu problems. I disabled wobbly windows, but it's still messed up.

Any ideas?

free photo hosting

picture upload

upload pic

screenshot software
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Hmm. The KompoZer website "Latest News" shows the last news post was over four years ago! You can try contacting the developers on IRC at http://kompozer.sourceforge.net/irc/
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kompozer is dead. It's not developed anymore. It used to be the best wysiwyg-editor, years ago. It's even not in the repos anymore. Personally I really don't understand why developers leave this old rubbish on their site. They should remove Kompozer or at least put a very big warning it's way too old.
      In this thread you can read a lot more about it, and also about a wysiwyg-editro that's up-to-date (bluegriffon):
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ht=bluegriffon

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
        Kompozer is dead. It's not developed anymore. It used to be the best wysiwyg-editor, years ago. It's even not in the repos anymore. Personally I really don't understand why developers leave this old rubbish on their site. They should remove Kompozer or at least put a very big warning it's way too old.
        In this thread you can read a lot more about it, and also about a wysiwyg-editro that's up-to-date (bluegriffon):
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ht=bluegriffon
        Blue Giffron doesn't run under Kubuntu. I installed it and it comes up, but crashes as soon as you try to pull down a menu. I found another one named Amaya that seems stable and decent so far and even had a debian package. I can also run an old copy of Dreamweaver under WINE.

I agree with you that I wish they would put warnings on this stuff that it's way too old. Once my programming skills have become better, maybe I'll see if I can fix up KompoZer. It's probably some minor little problem that's killing it's menus.

Comment

Just went to the KompoZer Downloads page and there:
          This version is not recommended for Mac Intel users: KompoZer 0.7 is only available as a PPC build for this platform.

Warning: this version does NOT work with recent GNU/Linux distros.

KompoZer 0.7 is not compatible with GTK ≥ 2.14 — expect crashes. If you’re using a Linux distro that ships KompoZer 0.7.10 with GTK ≥ 2.14, please inform the package maintainers about this.
          That, for the 0.7 version. The "latest" version: 0.8b3 has no such warning, but it too, is probably incompatible with GTK ≥ 2.14.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Just went to the KompoZer Downloads page and there:

That, for the 0.7 version. The "latest" version: 0.8b3 has no such warning, but it too, is probably incompatible with GTK ≥ 2.14.
            I did leave a message on that the kompozer sorgeforge irc link about it not working, but it seems pretty obvious that it's unlikely to get fixed. The menus were working fine until I upgraded to Kubuntu 14.04. I did notice before then that some features would grey out in their menus without good reason and I would have to restart the program to get them back. The program does still run and I can choose features if I can navigate through those mucked up menus, but that's too much trouble. This Amaya program seems okay so far. Maybe it will work out. Otherwise I guess I can use Dreamweaver under WINE. I also have one named Bluefish, but it's not WYSIWYG. I also don't like how it hijacks my metas. But it is good for when I need to edit code directly.

Comment

Have you tried SeaMonkey the self-described all-in-one internet application suite, I don't think it's in the repositories, but is easy enough to download at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ and run. It's still actively maintained and the most recent update was today, June 16, 2014.

Since my Kubuntu is 64bit, I needed to install libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 Here's a cheesy screenshot of a webpage I made for you.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaMonkey_Screenshot.png
Views:	1
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	642279

Comment

SeaMonkey is updated. But Composer, the build-in wysiwyg-editor, is not. It's even older then nvu.
                BlueGriffon is really the only up-to-date wysiwyg-editor.
                If you make a pretty simple page with only images, text, links, amaya can be okay too. Other older editors had lots of errors against standards, or 'hacks' to let behave browsers well. That's causing more and more problems in modern browsers. Amaya is older too, but since it's made by w3c at least it's working by the standards, so you won't have too many problems in modern browsers. And since Amaya only uses html 4.01/css2, there's no problem with concept standards changing.

Comment

Originally posted by dtr View Post
                  Have you tried SeaMonkey the self-described all-in-one internet application suite, I don't think it's in the repositories, but is easy enough to download at http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ and run. It's still actively maintained and the most recent update was today, June 16, 2014.

Since my Kubuntu is 64bit, I needed to install libdbus-glib-1-2:i386 Here's a cheesy screenshot of a webpage I made for you.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]5018[/ATTACH]
                  I downloaded SeaMonkey, but have yet to figure out how to install it. What I downloaded was not a Debian package. Is there such a package available? I think what I got is something you have to compile. If I have to compile things thing, I haven't delved into how to do that yet. Or is there a PPA I can install so that I can do a command line install?

SeaMonkey is updated. But Composer, the build-in wysiwyg-editor, is not. It's even older then nvu.
                  BlueGriffon is really the only up-to-date wysiwyg-editor.
                  If you make a pretty simple page with only images, text, links, amaya can be okay too. Other older editors had lots of errors against standards, or 'hacks' to let behave browsers well. That's causing more and more problems in modern browsers. Amaya is older too, but since it's made by w3c at least it's working by the standards, so you won't have too many problems in modern browsers. And since Amaya only uses html 4.01/css2, there's no problem with concept standards changing.
                  Amaya looks nice, but I did notice it's not recognizing the background image that I put in when using KompoZer. For now I'm using Dreamweaver under WINE. I might use Amaya if I can figure out how to do the background image in it. It looks like KompoZer or Dreamweaver used CSS styles to do it and that Amaya must not recognize those. Here's the code:

Code:
                   <style type="text/css">
                  	<!--
                  		@page { margin: 1in }
                  		p { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
                  body {
                  	background-image: url(images/nth_theme_business_classic_brown_note_bg.gif);
                  }
                  Of course at this point it would be a ton of work to edit out all those CSS styles. For now it's simpler to just use Dreamweaver.

Comment

If you can I think it's better to use Dreamweaver instead of Kompozer.
                    The code you write is exactly the kind of problems you're running into. I guess it's code made by Kompozer, The <!-- hasn't been used for years. It's for very old browsers (even before Internet Explorer 6) to hide css styles for those browsers. There's a --> Missing at the end, by the way.
                    This is not standard code and may give problems in browsers like Amaya (and other modern browsers). It's the kind of hack I meant that used to be okay years ago, but not anymore.
                    I think if you remove the <!-- (and possibly the -->) it's working.
                    Amaya is actually meant to try standard code, and since background-image is existing for a very long time, Amaya has to recognize that.
                    Pfff, I see now that the value used is in. That's allowed, but it's really not good. It's normally only used for printing, and even than pt is almost always better. These values are not used anymore and will probably give problems on mobile browsers.
                    I don't understand the @page rule. That's a rule to give margins on every side of the page. Again: it's allowed, but it's meant to be used for printing, not on screen.

Well, you gave only three lines of code. I guess you'll understand what I mean if I say using old editors is asking for problems

(If you want me to have a real good look at your code to see why Amaya doesn't recognize it, you can put a copy of all your code here.)
                    Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jun 19, 2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Okay, I'll show you the code for a whole page here. Pretty much every page, except for the index, has the same code. If you want to see the site, it's here:

http://mrzecat.myartsonline.com/

My copy of Dreamweaver is also kind of old. For WINE sometimes that's a good thing. It's Dreamweaver 8. The credits say copyright 1997-2005.

For KompoZer, did they simply take Netscape Composer and port the code to Linux? NC is ancient. I used to use it back in 1997.

Here's my code. It says it was generated by Bluefish, but that's BS. I created it with KompoZer. I made a few minor changes with Bluefish, and it hijacked my metas.

The code:

Code:
                      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
                      <html><head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
                        <title>Andrew, Catherine et la voyante</title>

<meta name="generator" content="Bluefish 2.2.4" >

<meta name="author" content="Tommy" >

<meta name="created" content="20140211;203210562703717">

<meta name="changedby" content="Tom ">

<meta name="changed" content="20140414;51718659802208">

<style type="text/css">
                      	<!--
                      		@page { margin: 1in }
                      		p { margin-bottom: 0.08in }
                      		a:link { so-language: zxx }
                      body {
                      	background-image: url(images/nth_theme_business_classic_brown_note_bg.gif);
                      }
                      	-->
                      	</style>
                      </head><body style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: white;" alink="#000099" link="#000099" vlink="#990099"><body dir="ltr" lang="fr-FR">
                      <table style="text-align: left; width: 1026px; height: 88px;" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">

<tbody>
                          <tr>
                            <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 282px;"><br>
                            </td>
                            <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 464px;"><br>
                            </td>
                            <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 252px;"><br>
                            </td>
                          </tr>
                          <tr>
                            </td>
                            <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 453px; font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; background-color: white;">
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; text-align: center;">Andrew,
                      Catherine et la voyante</p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Andrew
                      et Catherine sont en train de
                      faire un petit voyage en
                      amoureux sur un bateau
                      de croisière nommé RMS Knutschmichfest. En ce moment, ils sont à
                      Cozumel une petite île située à l'est de la
                      côte du
                      Mexique. Catherine prend un bain de soleil à la plage. Andrew,
                      coiffé d'un chapeau qui
                      dit «&nbsp;RMS
                      Knutschmichfest&nbsp;» et
                      d'une
                      chemise qui dit «&nbsp;J'aime ma chérie&nbsp;»,
                      explore la ville. Il trouve une petite boutique mystérieuse. Il y
                      entre. Il voit une femme très
                      secrète. Elle porte un foulard en
                      soie de couleur
                      lavande, un turban et
                      plusieurs chaînes en or.) </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">Madame
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Bonjour. Bienvenue. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">Andrew
                      : Bonjour. C'est
                      une boutique intéressante. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Merci. Je peux vous aider&nbsp;? </p>
                      : Non, merci. J'aimerais
                      juste
                      regarder. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: D'accord. </p>
                      regarde des bibelots aux
                      couleurs criardes. Il
                      trouve une statue d'un homme primitif tenant une lance, qui regarde
                      un dinosaure bouche bée.) </p>
                      : Ça coûte combien&nbsp;? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Trois
                      cent quatre-vingt-quinze
                      pesos. </p>
                      n'est pas impressionné.) </p>
                      : Ah ah. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Il
                      trouve une
                      boule de cristal.) </p>
                      : Oh, très bien. Combien ça coûte&nbsp;? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Ce
                      n'est pas à vendre. </p>
                      paraît
                      très déçu.) </p>
                      : C'est dommage. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Une
                      chose pareille a trop de pouvoirs pour une personne ordinaire. </p>
                      : Ah bon&nbsp;? J'ai
                      toujours voulu posséder
                      une telle chose comme ça. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Ça
                      serait trop dangereux. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Une
                      chose comme ça est conçue seulement pour ceux qui possèdent un don
                      psychique. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: C'est
                      vrai. </p>
                      : Laissez-moi deviner. Vous pratiquez la voyance
                      psychique, n'est-ce pas ? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oui, en
                      effet. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oui, je
                      devine
                      beaucoup de chose sur vous. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Elle
                      met ses mains sur
                      la boule de cristal.) </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Vous
                      avez voyagé jusqu'ici en bateau, non ? </p>
                      : Oui, c'est vrai. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Vous
                      êtes ici avec quelqu'un de
                      très important pour
                      vous. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Son
                      prénom commence par la lettre A. </p>
                      : Non. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: B. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: C. </p>
                      est très impressionné.) </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Elle
                      n'est pas votre épouse, pas encore. </p>
                      : C'est vrai. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Elle s'appelle Claire. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Claudia. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Attendez … je sens … je sens … Christina. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Candice. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Carla. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Charlotte. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Attendez … Oh, le monde spirituel … je sens …
                      je sens … Christa. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Christine. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Colleen. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Cynthia. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Cherylin.</p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oh …
                      brisez
                      l'ingérence spirituelle …
                      je sens … je sens … je sens … Clarice. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Cora. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Cleopatra. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Catherine. </p>
                      : Oui, c'est vrai. Comment est-ce que vous
                      saviez
                      ça&nbsp;? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Je l'ai
                      senti. Je l'ai senti au
                      début mais il y avait
                      l'ingérence spirituelle. </p>
                      : Je comprends. </p>
                      vient
                      des
                      États-Unis. </p>
                      est très impressionné.) </p>
                      : Vous en savez
                      beaucoup sur
                      moi. Comment avez-vous
                      appris à faire ça&nbsp;? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: C'est un
                      talent, on est né avec. </p>
                      : Ah bon. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Je sens
                      que vous êtes une personne unique. </p>
                      : Ma
                      mère dit toujours ça. </p>
                      vrai. Je sens que
                      vous êtes une personne avec
                      beaucoup de talent. Vous êtes une personne très
                      spirituelle. Venez ici,
                      s'il vous plaît. Normalement,
                      je ne permets pas qu'on touche à cette boule mais vous êtes une
                      personne très spirituelle. Cette
                      boule est unique. Il n'y
                      en a qu'une seule au monde. </p>
                      : Ouah. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Mettez
                      vos mains sur la boule. </p>
                      : Vous êtes sûre
                      ? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oui. Je
                      rencontre très rarement une personne d'aussi
                      spirituelle que vous. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Avec
                      hésitation, il met ses
                      mains sur la boule.) </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Qu'est-ce
                      que vous
                      sentez&nbsp;? </p>
                      : C'est froid. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Si, si&nbsp;! L'hiver
                      dernier,
                      il y avait un ouragan. Il
                      faisait très froid. Quel
                      talent&nbsp;! </p>
                      : Vraiment&nbsp;? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Que
                      ressentez-vous d'autre?</p>
                      : J'ai faim. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Ouah&nbsp;! Quel
                      talent&nbsp;! Pendant
                      l'ouragan nous
                      n'avions pas assez de nourriture. Je
                      suis très impressionné par
                      votre talent et
                      votre spiritualité. </p>
                      : Je ne sais pas comment
                      j’aurais pu le savoir. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: C'est ce
                      que pensent toujours les personnes
                      spirituelles. </p>
                      : Je ne savais pas que
                      j'avais
                      ce talent. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Les gens
                      de talent sont toujours si
                      modestes. Écoutez. Vous
                      devriez retourner chez
                      vous avec cette boule. Vous ferez
                      des
                      choses incroyable
                      avec elle. </p>
                      : Et vous, qu'est-ce
                      que vous
                      ferez&nbsp;? Il n'y a
                      qu'une seule comme celle-ci dans le monde. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Je suis
                      une vieille femme. Je
                      dois passer la flamme. J'ai
                      toujours su que je rencontrerais quelqu'un plus talentueux que moi. La
                      boule
                      doit rester
                      avec vous. </p>
                      : Avec
                      moi&nbsp;? Incroyable. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Pour
                      seulement soixante-six mille pesos. </p>
                      : Oh la, c'est cher. </p>
                      bon marché en comparaison des
                      choses incroyables
                      que vous allez
                      faire avec. </p>
                      fait des calculs sur
                      son portable.) </p>
                      : C'est presque cinq
                      mille dollars. Je voudrais cette boule
                      mais je n'ai pas assez
                      d'argent. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Avez-vous
                      une carte de crédit&nbsp;? </p>
                      : Oui, mais c'est
                      seulement en cas d'urgence et elle a une limite de dépense
                      de mille cinq cents
                      dollars. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Madame
                      Carterista fait des
                      conversions dans son
                      portable.) </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Ça fait
                      presque vingt
                      mille pesos. Je crois que
                      la providence divine a voulu que vous ayez cette boule de cristal. Je
                      vais vous
                      faire une bonne affaire. Vingt mille pesos …
                      seulement pour vous. </p>
                      : Heu … heu
                      … il n'y en a qu'une
                      seule au monde, n'est-ce pas ? </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oui. </p>
                      : C'est en cas d'urgence,
                      bien sûr … d'accord, je
                      la prends. </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Merveilleux. </p>
                      achète la boule
                      et part. Madame
                      Carterista va chercher une boîte à l'arrière salle, sur laquelle
                      il est inscrit
                      : « fabriqué
                      en Chine ». Elle
                      l'ouvre et sort une boule de cristal identique à l'autre, puis
                      l'expose. Elle
                      compose un numéro sur son portable.) </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Allô,
                      15 jusqu'à présent. On
                      a besoin de faire
                      un autre commande. Très bien. Merci. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">(Elle
                      raccroche le téléphone. Catherine
                      entre et
                      remarque aussitôt la boule
                      de cristal.) </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">Catherine
                      : Oh, cette boule
                      de cristal
                      est si belle&nbsp;! </p>
                      Carterista&nbsp;: Oui. Il
                      n'y en a qu'une seule au monde.</p>
                      : Incroyable. C’est
                      combien ? </p>
                      n'est pas à vendre. </p>
                      : Zut. </p>
                      Carterista: Je sens que
                      vous êtes une personne très spirituelle. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; text-align: center;">Fin</p>
                            <br>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; text-align: center;"><br>
                            </p>
                            <hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;">
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; text-align: center;"><br>
                            </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; page-break-before: always; text-align: center;" lang="en-US">Andrew, Catherine, and the
                      Psychic</p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(Andrew
                      and Catherine are taking a little love voyage on a cruise ship named
                      RMS Knutschmichfest. At the moment they're on Cozumel, a little
                      island off the east coast of Mexico. Catherine is sunbathing on the
                      beach. Andrew, wearing a hat that says “RMS Knutschmichfest” and
                      a shirt that reads “I love my sweetie,” explores the town. He
                      finds a little mysterious shop. He enters it. He sees a very
                      esoteric woman. She's wearing lavender silk scarves and a turban and
                      numerous gold chains.)</p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">Madame
                      Carterista: Hello. Welcome. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">Andrew:
                      Hello. This is a very
                      interesting shop here. </p>
                      Carterista: Thank you. Can I help you? </p>
                      No, thank you. I just
                      want to browse. </p>
                      Carterista: Okay. </p>
                      looks at some gaudy trinkets. He
                      finds a statue of a primitive man looking at a dinosaur mouth agape
                      and holding a spear.) </p>
                      How much is this? </p>
                      Carterista: Three hundred
                      ninety-five pesos. </p>
                      is not impressed.) </p>
                      Mmm
                      hmm. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(He
                      finds a crystal ball.) </p>
                      Oh, very nice. How much is this? </p>
                      Carterista: That's not for
                      sale. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(He
                      looks disappointed.) </p>
                      That's a shame. </p>
                      Carterista: Such a thing
                      is too powerful for the average person. </p>
                      Really? I've always
                      wanted to own such a thing. </p>
                      Carterista: That would be
                      too dangerous. </p>
                      Mmm hmm. </p>
                      Carterista: Such a thing
                      is only for experienced psychics.</p>
                      Mmm hmm. </p>
                      Carterista: It's true. </p>
                      Let me guess. You're the experienced psychic, aren't you? </p>
                      Carterista: Yes, that's me. </p>
                      Mmm hmm. </p>
                      Carterista: Yes, I sense a lot from you. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(She
                      puts her hands on the crystal ball.) </p>
                      Carterista: You came here
                      by ship, didn't you? </p>
                      Yes, that's true. </p>
                      Carterista: You're here
                      with someone important to you. </p>
                      Yes, that's true. </p>
                      Carterista: Her name
                      starts with the letter A. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: B. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: C. </p>
                      Yes, that's true. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(He's
                      very impressed.) </p>
                      Carterista: She's not your wife, not yet. </p>
                      That's true. </p>
                      Carterista: Her name is
                      Claire. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Claudia. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Wait … I
                      sense … I sense … Christina. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Candice. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Carla. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Charlotte. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Wait … Oh,
                      spiritual world … I sense … I sense … Christa. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Christine. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Colleen. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Cynthia. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Cherylin. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Oh … break
                      the spiritual interference .. I sense … I sense … I sense …
                      Clarice. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Cora. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Cleopatra. </p>
                      No. </p>
                      Carterista: Catherine. </p>
                      Yes, that's
                      true. How did you know
                      that? </p>
                      Carterista: I sensed it. I sensed it the first time, but there was
                      spiritual interference. </p>
                      I understand. </p>
                      Carterista: She's from the
                      United States. </p>
                      Yes, that's true.</p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(He's
                      very impressed.) </p>
                      You know a lot about me. How
                      did you learn to do that? </p>
                      Carterista: It's a talent you're born with. </p>
                      I see. </p>
                      Carterista: I sense that
                      you're a unique person. </p>
                      My mom always says that. </p>
                      Carterista: It's true. I
                      sense that you're a very talented person. You're
                      a very spiritual person. Come
                      here, please. I normally
                      don't allow anyone to touch this ball, but you're a very spiritual
                      person. This ball is
                      unique. It's the only one
                      like it in the world. </p>
                      Wow. </p>
                      Carterista: Put your hands
                      on the ball. </p>
                      Are you sure? </p>
                      Carterista: Yes. I rarely
                      meet a person as spiritual as you. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(Hesitantly
                      he puts his hands on the ball.) </p>
                      Carterista: What do you sense? </p>
                      It's cold. </p>
                      Carterista: Why, yes! Last winter there was a
                      hurricane. It was very cold. What talent! </p>
                      Really? </p>
                      Carterista: What else do
                      you sense? </p>
                      I'm hungry. </p>
                      Carterista: Wow! What talent! During
                      the hurricane we did not have enough food. I'm
                      very impressed by your talent, your spirituality. </p>
                      I don't know how I knew
                      that. </p>
                      Carterista: That's how it always is with spiritual people. </p>
                      I didn't know that I had
                      this talent. </p>
                      Carterista: Talented
                      people are always so modest. Listen. You should return home with this
                      ball. You
                      would do amazing things with it. </p>
                      What will you do? It's
                      the only one like it in the world. </p>
                      Carterista: I'm an old
                      woman. I need to pass the
                      torch. I've always known I
                      would meet someone more talented than myself. The
                      ball should be with you. </p>
                      With me? Incredible. </p>
                      Carterista: For only sixty-six thousand pesos. </p>
                      Oh, wow, that's expensive. </p>
                      Carterista: It's cheap when you compare it to the incredible things
                      you'll do with it. </p>
                      calculates something on his cell.) </p>
                      That's almost five
                      thousand dollars. I want
                      that ball, but I don't have enough money. </p>
                      Carterista: Do you have a
                      credit card? </p>
                      Yes, but it's only for
                      emergencies, and it has a credit limit of fifteen
                      hundred dollars. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(Madame
                      Carterista calculates
                      something on her cell.) </p>
                      Carterista: That's
                      approximately twenty thousand pesos. I
                      know it's divine providence that you get that ball. I'm
                      going to make a great deal for
                      you. Twenty thousand
                      pesos … only for you. </p>
                      Um … um … it's
                      the only one of its kind in the world, isn't it? </p>
                      Carterista: It is. </p>
                      This is an emergency, of
                      course … okay, I'll take it. </p>
                      Carterista: Wonderful. </p>
                      buys the ball and leaves. Madame Carterista gets
                      a box from the back room upon which it says, “Made in China.” She opens
                      it and gets out
                      a crystal ball identical to the other one and displays it. She
                      dials a number on her cell.) </p>
                      Carterista: Hello, 15 so
                      far today. We need to
                      order another shipment. Very
                      well. Thank you. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">(She
                      hangs up the telephone. Catherine
                      enters and immediately notices the crystal ball.) </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US">Catherine:
                      Oh, this crystal ball is beautiful! </p>
                      Carterista: Yes. It's the only one like it in the world. </p>
                      Incredible. What's its
                      price? </p>
                      Carterista: It's not for sale. </p>
                      Shoot. </p>
                      Carterista: I sense that you're a very spiritual person. </p>
                            <p style="margin-bottom: 0in; text-align: center;" lang="en-US">The
                      End </p>
                      <p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" lang="en-US"> </p>
                      </td>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 263px;"><br>
                      </td>
                      </tr>
                      <tr>
                      </td>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 453px;"><br>
                      </td>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top; width: 263px;"><br>
                      </td>
                      </tr>
                      <tr>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top;"><br>
                      </td>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center;"><a href="index.html"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Back to Main Page</span></a><br>
                      </td>
                      <td style="vertical-align: top;"><br>
                      </td>
                      </tr>
                      </tbody>
                      </table>

<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;" align="center"><font face="Courier New, monospace"><span lang="zxx"><br>
                      </span></font></p>

<br>

<br>

</body></html>

Comment

Hey, I wrote a reply that I would look at it tonight. But it's gone. Guess i clicked on the wrong button. Anyway, I've just installed Amaya and start looking.

Comment

That almost drove me mad. The background-image, I mean. I thought it was the <!-- and -->, because following the standard the code inside this tags is to be completely ignored, and since Amaya is following standards... This was a trick browser makers used just to prevent old browsers crashing.
                          But in the end it's a bug in Amaya. I stole your original background-image from your site, gnagnanga.
                          In every browser it's working okay. Only not in Amaya. In Amaya the lowest pixel of a background-image just disappears. That's the pixel that makes your 'line'. If you put an extra pixel under the image, making it 18 px high, it works in Amaya. Of course you now have a problem in every other browser.

I had a look at you site and the code you sent me in a few browsers on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and OSX (not in every possibly browser). First some general remarks. This code looks more or less the same in every browser. Since it is only text and links, I don't expect too many problems. Some pages have a doctype of html strict and on that pages in some browsers the <font> tag in the html is ingnored (it's against the standard), so some text is bigger then it should be.
                          But you can read everything and every link is working.

But.

If you use this code and there's somewhere an error, it's impossible to change it by hand. Or you have to be a real masochist. There's almost only inline-css instead of one external file. On every <p> there's a completely useless margin-bottom=0in. Useless, because it removes only the bottom-margin. But a <p> has a top-margin too, that's exactly as big as the bottom-margin (unless you change it). Those two margins overlap. If you only remove one of the two, there's no visual difference. But if you want to change the bottom-margin, you better first buy some whisky and tranquilizers. Because you have to change that by hand on EVERY <p>. And there are a lot of <p>'s.
                          On all kind of places other inline-css or deprecated html-tags are inserted. That's why it's almost impossible to correct something by hand. If I change the font, but somewhere in your html there's a font-change too, it's very hard to control that. And if I change that font-change, does that influence other things? Etc. Almost impossible.

There's another problem. If you use this code, you can't use any other wysiwyg-editor (as far as I know). Every editor has it's own way of coding. Another editor 'sees' all these in's (inches) and thinks: "I don't know what these do, so better leave them alone." And may put another inline-css behind it, overruling the first inline-css and doubling your inline-css. Or it destroys it. So if you use this code (or any other bad quality code) you're hooked on the editor you made the code with.

I had no experience with Amaya. I think you can use that for the kind of site you have. I played a bit with it, and it seems to make pretty good code, without deprecated tags etc.. I guess it's possible to use this code in any other good editor (no guarantee) and at least it's probably possible to edit the code by hand, if necessary.
                          One remark if you want to use Amaya: you should choose for html as doctype ('document profile' it's called in dutch) and for utf-8 as chartype (text encoding it's called in Dutch). Those translators translate standard English names in Dutch too, grumble, so I don't know how Amaya calls it in English.
                          xhtml, the other doctype, is dead. And since Amaya is working by the standards, using xhtml gives really big problems in IE 9 (or 10) and before, because IE had it's own definition of xhtml. If you don't use utf-8 there's a very big chance (a lot of) your French diacritics change in square boxes or something that looks like Chinese on some computers.

Well, that's about it. If BlueGriffon is not working, I think Amaya may be an alternative. But only for sites that use only text, images, links, etc., not for more complicated sites.

I have no experience with Wordpress either, but did you think about using Wordpress?
                          As far as I know BlueGriffon is supposed to work on Kubuntu. Maybe there's somewhere a forum you can ask about the crashing menus? Or some kind soul here (I'm no linux expert at all...).
                          Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jun 20, 2014, 01:03 PM. Reason: typo-tradition

Comment

That almost drove me mad. The background-image, I mean. I thought it was the <!-- and -->, because following the standard the code inside this tags is to be completely ignored, and since Amaya is following standards... This was a trick browser makers used just to prevent old browsers crashing.
                            But in the end it's a bug in Amaya. I stole your original background-image from your site, gnagnanga.
                            In every browser it's working okay. Only not in Amaya. In Amaya the lowest pixel of a background-image just disappears. That's the pixel that makes your 'line'. If you put an extra pixel under the image, making it 18 px high, it works in Amaya. Of course you now have a problem in every other browser.

I had a look at you site and the code you sent me in a few browsers on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux and OSX (not in every possibly browser). First some general remarks. This code looks more or less the same in every browser. Since it is only text and links, I don't expect too many problems. Some pages have a doctype of html strict and on that pages in some browsers the <font> tag in the html is ingnored (it's against the standard), so some text is bigger then it should be.
                            But you can read everything and every link is working.

But.

If you use this code and there's somewhere an error, it's impossible to change it by hand. Or you have to be a real masochist. There's almost only inline-css instead of one external file. On every <p> there's a completely useless margin-bottom=0in. Useless, because it removes only the bottom-margin. But a <p> has a top-margin too, that's exactly as big as the bottom-margin (unless you change it). Those two margins overlap. If you only remove one of the two, there's no visual difference. But if you want to change the bottom-margin, you better first buy some whisky and tranquilizers. Because you have to change that by hand on EVERY <p>. And there are a lot of <p>'s.
                            On all kind of places other inline-css or deprecated html-tags are inserted. That's why it's almost impossible to correct something by hand. If I change the font, but somewhere in your html there's a font-change too, it's very hard to control that. And if I change that font-change, does that influence other things? Etc. Almost impossible.

There's another problem. If you use this code, you can't use any other wysiwyg-editor (as far as I know). Every editor has it's own way of coding. Another editor 'sees' all these in's (inches) and thinks: "I don't know what these do, so better leave them alone." And may put another inline-css behind it, overruling the first inline-css and doubling your inline-css. Or it destroys it. So if you use this code (or any other bad quality code) you're hooked on the editor you made the code with.

I had no experience with Amaya. I think you can use that for the kind of site you have. I played a bit with it, and it seems to make pretty good code, without deprecated tags etc.. I guess it's possible to use this code in any other good editor (no guarantee) and at least it's probably possible to edit the code by hand, if necessary.
                            One remark if you want to use Amaya: you should choose for html as doctype ('document profile' it's called in dutch) and for utf-8 as chartype (text encoding it's called in Dutch). Those translators translate standard English names in Dutch too, grumble, so I don't know how Amaya calls it in English.
                            xhtml, the other doctype, is dead. And since Amaya is working by the standards, using xhtml gives really big problems in IE 9 (or 10) and before, because IE had it's own definition of xhtml. If you don't use utf-8 there's a very big chance (a lot of) your French diacritics change in square boxes or something that looks like Chinese on some computers.

Well, that's about it. If BlueGriffon is not working, I think Amaya may be an alternative. But only for sites that use only text, images, links, etc., not for more complicated sites.

I have no experience with Wordpress either, but did you think about using Wordpress?
                            As far as I know BlueGriffon is supposed to work on Kubuntu. Maybe there's somewhere a forum you can ask about the crashing menus? Or some kind soul here (I'm no linux expert at all...).
                            Thanks for your detailed explanation. I think it would be too much of a nightmare to edit the code by hand in every file. I didn't even plan to use CSS styles in my code. The WYSIWYG editor simply used them automatically. I think it would be simpler for me to pick a quality WYSIWYG editor and then use it to recreate all my pages in simple HTML, no CSS. They're very simple pages. I don't need fancy things like CSS or javascript or whatever. I need to find the command in Amaya for choosing a background image. I've looked, but I can't seem to find it.

I haven't tried Wordpress, but I will. I think what I'll do is keep the page as is, updating it with Dreamweaver while I try test pages with other editors like Amaya and Wordpress. Later, when I decide what works best, I can recreate my page. Whenever possible, I prefer to run a Linux-based app instead of a Windows one under WINE. Fortunately, Dreamweaver 8 does run really well under WINE.

Comment

Working...
                            X