This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

volum buttons don't work

I use a Lenovo Thinkpad x240 and ran a video using the VLC player. kubuntu 14.04

Trying to adjust the volume, I found that the mute, volume increase and volume decrease button do not change the volume of a headphone.

Using only the internal speaker (headphone unplugged) mute worked but also in this case no volume adjustment between on and off possible.

I appreciate any idea which can lead to a solution.

Open the settings for KMix and reassign the volume shortcut keys. I've noticed that this is necessary on ThinkPads from time to time.

Comment

Thanks for your help. KMix was the important part you mentioned. Although I did not find shortcut keys for the volume I could solve the problem.

Here is what I did:

1 -Launched KMix which started up but nothing no application was to be seen on the desktop.but w3hen I right clicked on the speaker icon in the system tray, a window titled KMix popped up.

In non of the windows or subwindows of KMix I found something related to keys or shortcut keys

2 - Playing around I found that I get all working when I only use the "Built In Audio Analog Stereo" settings for
      - Audio Playback
      - Audio Hardware and here additionally the Profile to Off.

With these settings the vokum keys and the mute key work even when running the VLC player.

Just for curiosity, why could I not find shortcut keys? What did I do something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by 52ROSt View Post
        1 -Launched KMix which started up but nothing no application was to be seen on the desktop.but w3hen I right clicked on the speaker icon in the system tray, a window titled KMix popped up. In non of the windows or subwindows of KMix I found something related to keys or shortcut keys
        KMix is the speaker icon in the system tray. Click it, then press the Mixer button. In the dialog that appears, choose Settings | Configure Shortcuts.

If you have multiple audio controllers -- like, for instance, built-in Intel audio and HDMI audio provided by AMD or NVIDIA graphics -- then the volume control keys might be assigned to the HDMI controller. You can switch it to the Intel audio. On the Playback tab, right click Built-in Audio Analog Stereo and choose Configure Shortcuts.

Originally posted by 52ROSt View Post
        2 - Playing around I found that I get all working when I only use the "Built In Audio Analog Stereo" settings for
        - Audio Playback
        - Audio Hardware and here additionally the Profile to Off.
        Exactly which profile did you switch off?

Comment

Thanks for continuing to help.

I try now screenshots because a picture says (sometimes) more than 1000 words.

Right clcking on the speaker logo at the system tray lets following menu pop up:

Clicking on KMix does evoke anything.

Clicking Audio Setup lets following window pop up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	150105_17:02:57_Audio and Video Settings – KDE Control Module_001.png
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	642664

Here I can select the Built-in Audio Analog Stereo Device
          Digital device can only be selected if they are selected on the next screen in Profile

Name:	150105_17:03:42_Audio and Video Settings – KDE Control Module_001.png
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	642665
          Above screenshot show Profil selection to be OFF

Selection menu of Profile is shown below:

Name:	150105_17:04:28_Menu_001.png
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	642666

In above screenshot the Profile is selected to be OFF; this allows me to hear the sound and use the 3 keys (mute, volumn up and down)

Selection of Digital Stereo Profile result in the next screen -

Name:	150105_17:05:18_Audio and Video Settings – KDE Control Module_001.png
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	642667

Selection of Digital Suround Profile results in the next screen

Name:	150105_17:06:46_Audio and Video Settings – KDE Control Module_001.png
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	642668

Selecting either Digital Stereo or Digital Suround Profile does not allow to hear a sound.

So far to the Profiles. I found now something with shortcut keys. As number of attachnents is iimited I continue in a new reply window.

Comment

Sorry, I made the mistake. Somehow I always right clicked on the speaker icon. Now I clicked and got a menu with mixers and at the bottom the Mixer button.

I got to the configuration of the shortcut keys.

As the shortcut keys for the Audio Analog Stereo worked (see my answer a few hours earlier) I did not do anything here not to destroy a working system.

I still have some questions left, which I will keep for the time being as you helped me to solve a big chunk problem. Once I go on fine tuning I will raise another question(s).

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X