This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding printers

Bought a new Laser Printer called Pantum 2500W.

Downloaded Linux drivers here:

http://global.pantum.com/global/inde...=33&Itemid=108

When I add the printer in the kde printer module I get several chocies:

Which one should I select:

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	648853

IF you have it is connected to your wireless and has a 192.168.x.y IP address assigned to it then try either of the two network offerings. IF you have it plugged into a USB port on your computer then take the Local printer option.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have both. This is the main PC with a USB connection, but its connected to the wireless also.

Comment

I'd unplug the USB connection and use the network connection because then everyone connected to the wireless network can configure a connection to the printer. There is a caveat: make sure that the IP address of the printer is outside the range of IP addresses dispensed by the DHCP. For example, if you have your wireless set to dispense addresses from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.105 (to limit the number of connections to your wireless to six) BE SURE that the network printer attached to the wireless is configured to have an IP address below *.100 or above *.105. I use 192.168.1.99 because that allows me to expand my DHCP assignment to some value higher than *.105 when I have several guests with iPhones or other devices that need an Internet connection.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

What's the difference between jetdirect/appsock vs port 9100

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            What's the difference between jetdirect/appsock vs port 9100
            They're the same. HP JetDirect uses port 9100/tcp.

Comment

Like Steve said. I've been promising my wife that I would connect her Acer Notebook to our HP LaserJet p1606dn printer, so tonight I pulled its USB plug out of my laptop and opened FF on my wireless router webpage (which is running DD-WRT's firmware). I navigated to a page which told me the MAC addresses and host name of the devices attached to the router. I copied and pasted those into the settings on the page where I can assign a MAC address to a particular IP address. I used 192.168.1.99 because the DHCP starts dispensing at *.100. I also force my laptop to *.111 and bound my firewall holes for Minecraft and other apps to it. Aftter I rebooted the router to make sure the IP address assignment stuck, I fired up HPLIP GUI and chose the Network connection it offered m (*.99:9100) and then it said that I had to install the HP plugin to complete the installation. It offered a link and I took it. When it was done installing I completed the installation and ran a test page, which printed perfectly from both computers.

Comment

Working...
              X