Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some games crashing soem games not - how to troubleshoot?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some games crashing soem games not - how to troubleshoot?

So i have this oldish setup with celeron E3300 dual core (2.5 Ghz=) and ATI radeon 9600, 256 MB (the old one) with 1,25 GB ram in the computer

Now i can run some games just fine - among others - Urban terror, Ufo:AI, Minecraft, Supertux, supertuxkart, tuxracer... DOS games work fine as well. so do old windows game via wine. i can also play diablo2 using openGL rendering

but as soon as i try Doom with Doomsday OpenGL engine, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory or World of padman the games run fine but then crash. they stop working. i can hear the sound looping, usually i can't move to another console or get to desktop in some way. the only way out is to reboot the computer. so how do i troubleshoot this? how do i log before crash? i thouggh it is the CPu that get's overheated (again) but it doesn't seem so. i have psensor set to load on boot and it is showing normal working temperature. it's probabyl that opensoruce radeon drivers are really bad or something, but i have no idea how to improve or if there is any setting i should use that would make these games work. perhaps something in game?!? i know the drivers are bad because this card could run so much more and fluently in windows.

Next quesiton is - after reboot the computer boots into desktop at resolution where it got stuck (usually some smaller one like 800x600 or 640x480) - why does the desktop (OS) do this? i clearly marked not to save any changes on reboto so the reboto should always bring me to pristine desktop state??

one more thing to mention - i do not have many desktop effects enabled. even so i have selected the option to turn off special effects when running full screen games/programs.

the desktop itself otherwise works fluently and doesn't give much issues.
Working...
X