This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon MG2520 printer scanner

well my HP printer finally bit the dust and the wife needed/wanted to scan and post some old photo's ,,,,,,,So off to wallmart I go to for a cheep HP .

No go , all the HP's in stock are high $ one's but this Canon is like 40$ so home it go's

the pinter part worked out the box in the usual way, system settings>printer>add>pick the make and model (it was their) and it prints .

The Scanner however ,,,no go.

So off to CanoI go http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...xma/index.aspx picked my model a PIXMA MG2520 and got this page after filtering for linux and English

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...ge=EN&os=Linux

download the driver
    Code:
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~/Downloads$ ls cnijfilter-mg2500series-4.00-1-deb.tar.gz
    rite click in dolphin and select "extract hear auto detect subfolder" and run the "install.sh" script you will find in the extracted directory
    Code:
    sudo ./install.sh
    now you will have 2 printers installed , 1 from the system settings>printer routine and 1 from the install.sh script,,,,,,,,,but still no scanner joy until I installed the

Code:
    vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~/Downloads$ ls scangearmp-mg2500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz
    (Canon's scanner app) and installed the same way as the driver .
    it all works now but the scangearmp app is VARY GTK/win95 ish ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but it dose work.

OK then ,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Hmm, so you're saying Canon is supplying at least -some- Linux support...

This world is in decline!

Your missus must be one hell of a person to convince her Linux expert to buy something Canon.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      Hmm, so you're saying Canon is supplying at least -some- Linux support...

This world is in decline!

Your missus must be one hell of a person to convince her Linux expert to buy something Canon.
      LOL ,,,,,,, like I sead ,,,,,, it was cheep and my check this week was spent before I got it ......

I figured if I couldent hammer it into submition , I could return it claiming it was defective and would only work on windows ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Muahaha

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah even though I'm somewhat living on my own I know about the fluidity of pay checks...
        Last week while in Brazil I dropped my camera and yesterday I got a repair proposal from the Nikon importer, over €1000 .

You are right, Canon offers at least some support as in a sort of driver and it doesn't work, Linux is infallible so the printer must be broken.
        They'll probably trade it for an identical one.

Comment

Working...
        X