This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Often boots to blank screen

Recently, when turning on the computer with 14.04, it gets past bios and then goes black. It does this probably 75% of the time. If I boot through recovery mode it works fine. How can I find out whats going on so I can either fix the problem or file an appropriate bug report?

Firstly, "it gets past bios and then goes black" implies no grub screen, but "if I boot through recovery mode" sort of does. Assuming you're using grub:

If you edit /etc/default/grub and remove the words "quiet splash" from the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX or GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (can't remember which, removed them a while back) then sudo update-grub, you'll see lots of stuff flying past on boot.

I had a similar problem a few years ago, but removing the "quiet splash" banished it, so I never found out the cause. I got to like seeing what was happening; IIRC others at KFN do the same.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I forgot about this little trick. Anyway, that seems to have solved it. Thanks.

Comment

UPDATE

This is still happening despite the change in /etc/default/grub. Which logs should I look at for failed boots?

Comment

Working...
        X