Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got another 34 packages and Kontact now works. Just one problem to sort out is that my Notes are now gone because of changes in this area and I chose to Migrate - BAD CHOICE

Comment

After the updates this evening, which brought in baloo et al, Kontact works again. All is well with the world.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have found that not all features of Kontact work. I do not use Mail or Journal but I use Contacts, Calendar, To-do Lists, Feeds and Popup Notes. Currently I cannot get it to load my Popup Notes in the file ~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics.

Has anyone else, who uses this feature, been able to load their notes file? At the moment it seems to be linked to the Kmail package.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          I have found that not all features of Kontact work. I do not use Mail or Journal but I use Contacts, Calendar, To-do Lists, Feeds and Popup Notes. Currently I cannot get it to load my Popup Notes in the file ~/.kde/share/apps/knotes/notes.ics.
          I don't use knotes, but check akonadiconsole (package "akonadiconsole" if it's not installed). There should be a "local notes" agent, but by default (at least on my machine) it expects the notes to be stored in a maildir folder and not in an ics file. However there is an agent that can get notes from a file. click add on the agent page and search for "Notes" and choose the Notes agent that can retrieve notes from a file and point it to your notes file.

Another option, if supported by knotes, is to import your notes in your ics file in knotes and let it store them into the default maildir format with the existing AkoNotes agent.

Comment

I have already used the options in Personal Information to set-up a Notes agent that chooses the notes file that I have. I have also deleted the Local Notes agent that is linked to the Mail, but the system keeps putting it back. On the Kontact Popup Notes option I just get a blank page and there is no option to import a notes file like before.

Looks like I have been snookered by Kontact on this issue. If you have any other ideas that I can try I would like to have a go.

Comment

I have also deleted the Local Notes agent that is linked to the Mail, but the system keeps putting it back.
              It's not actually linked to mail (unless you have configured your notes to go inside your regular mail directory structure), the AkoNotes resource agents just searches notes in individual files inside a directory hierarchy according to the Maildir spec..by default the root dir for the notes is ~/.local/share/notes/XXXXXXXX (not within your mail root). But that is somewhat beside the point, I know

Anyway, if I can find some time I'll install knotes and see how it is these days, I'll report back if I find anything useful in importing ics notes or setting up the file notes agent.

EDIT: I quickly checked knotes and kjots (don't have time to dwell deeper) and there seems to be some changes like you're describing...I'll play with the agents later to see if I can make any sense into it.
              Last edited by kubicle; Mar 21, 2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I toyed around with kjots/knotes and the akonotes resource, and it seems to me they don't store the notes in ical/vjournal format any more, so old notes (in vjournat format) might be incompatible with the new note applications/akonadi resources. That is probably why it asked to migrate the old notes (even though that failed).

How many notes are we talking about, is it inconceivable to readd them by hand (open the ics in kate and copy the data to new notes)? There is obviously a problem with the migrator though (which isn't terribly surprising for pre-release software), so a bug report might be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Hmm gwenview plays video/audio fine on my system. I don't remember what codecs/libs I may have installed, but I do have the vlc phonon backend, which probably is helping, as that pulls in whatever vlc needs to play sound/video.
                  Crashes are likey being caused by the gstreamer backend crashing. This was happening here a couple of weeks back with amarok. Switching to vlc phonon backend worked around the issues here. The devs said that gstreamer wasn't being updated regularly these days....

cheers,
                  bill
                  sigpic
                  A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    I toyed around with kjots/knotes and the akonotes resource, and it seems to me they don't store the notes in ical/vjournal format any more, so old notes (in vjournat format) might be incompatible with the new note applications/akonadi resources. That is probably why it asked to migrate the old notes (even though that failed).

How many notes are we talking about, is it inconceivable to readd them by hand (open the ics in kate and copy the data to new notes)? There is obviously a problem with the migrator though (which isn't terribly surprising for pre-release software), so a bug report might be a good idea.
                    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I also appreciate the time you have spent to help resolve this problem.

Currently, if I try to add a note using Kontact > Popup Notes > New Popup Note, nothing happens. So I am unable to add a test note to see what happens. I was also surprised to find to menu option Utilities > Knotes (Popup Notes). When I ran the command from Konsole I got the following response
                    Code:
                    ~$ knotes
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                    My conclusion is that there is a bug in this area. I probably won't get around to filing a bug report for a couple of days and it will be interesting to see if someone has done so already.

Comment

My conclusion is that there is a bug in this area. I probably won't get around to filing a bug report for a couple of days and it will be interesting to see if someone has done so already.
                      Well, during my note poking I was able to add new notes just fine (although I started knotes as standalone application...not kontact). IIRC, knotes didn't actually create the storage directory (defaulted to ~/.local/share/akonadi_akonotes_resource_X, or something like that) when it created the new akonadi resource agent, so that could be a reason why it won't create new notes. (I modified the path in akonadiconsole, and the directory was created).

Comment

Working...
                      X