X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact crashes after todays dist-upgrade

Yes, many here don't use Kontact.

My system is fully dist-upgraded, and a dist-upgrade was done this evening. A reboot was indicated when it finished, and I rebooted. After logging back in I launched Kontact and it immediately crashed. I've submitted a bug report at: Bug 332345 - Kontact/Kmail crashes on launch

For those who do use Kontact, and are on 14.04 (KDE 4.12.90), are you experiencing this too?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Nope.
    I'll update again and check, though.

Comment

ooh I see a lot of kde 4.13 (beta) stuff rolling in, and perhaps some Qt stuff too....

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing that todays updates broke something that makes Kontact work, at least, here. Kontact worked fine yesterday. So, if my guess is true, then a subsequent update should fix what got broken today.

Comment

kmail, and all the other PIM components do run fine standalone. Kontact itself does crash.

Comment

Confirmed. Kmail runs. KAdressBook runs. KOrganizer runs. Kontact crashes.

Comment

There are still things coming in, (nepomuk stuff, so likely unrelated to Kontact itself crashing) so perhaps a missing bit is still on the way

Comment

Yup, not everything is upgraded to 4.13 beta (4.12.90). Also Kde 4.13 uses baloo instead of nepomuk...so the transition can cause some bugs in nepomuk using applications (especially if everything is not upgraded). You could try disabling Nepomuk for a moment to see if that makes a difference.

Comment

I rely heavily on Kontact and it is crashing on my system as well. I decided to wait 24 hours for the rest of the updates to come. Kinfocentre Summary shows KDE SC Version as 4.12.2 but About System shows KDELibs Version as 4.12.90. I am also hoping that with 4.12.90 they fix up Gwenview as it does not play mp4 files as it used to. Others may also hope that DragonPlayer will work as well!

Comment

Already tried that, but as kmail and all the individual Pim components seem to work fine, I'm suspecting something specific affecting the Kontact "wrapper"

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

oh yeah, more stuff coming in.

Comment

Just had an update for Gwenview but it is still giving no picture but sound on mp4 files. Kontact still crashes. Considering the current time in the east and west coast of the USA, these updates must be happening automatically or the developers are well and truly burning the midnight oil.

Comment

Hmm gwenview plays video/audio fine on my system. I don't remember what codecs/libs I may have installed, but I do have the vlc phonon backend, which probably is helping, as that pulls in whatever vlc needs to play sound/video.

Comment

the devs are mainly European

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Hmm gwenview plays video/audio fine on my system. I don't remember what codecs/libs I may have installed, but I do have the vlc phonon backend, which probably is helping, as that pulls in whatever vlc needs to play sound/video.
                              Thanks heaps for that. VLC works fine on my system no matter what I throw at it. I decided to install phonon-backend-vlc and I am very pleased to report that Gwenview now works as it should. I will now have to alter my bug report that I filed on this problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X