• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Google Earth problems

It's about two years ago Google Earth was in a similar state:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ing-libGL-so-1

The solution is similar.
    Missing is the libGLU.so.1 library but this time there is no longer a 32-bit version available.
    So I pulled it out of an 13.10 install and copied it into /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/

Google Earth now works

Although the long-standing problem (libWebKit) of not showing Panoramio photo's is still alive and kicking

This is with the 32-bit deb version from Google.

Google earth has become a major PITA. If you use the new google maps, you can use 3D mode. I had to force webgl with firefox and intel hd4000 with this. https://www.google.com/maps/preview/?force=webgl
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Originally posted by 67GTA View Post
      Google earth has become a major PITA. If you use the new google maps, you can use 3D mode. I had to force webgl with firefox and intel hd4000 with this. https://www.google.com/maps/preview/?force=webgl
      Thanks for the link! When I use the regular Google Maps link it doesn't give me 3D. Your link does! The red star marks my driveway.
      Attached Files
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Is it me or is it your missing red star?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Is it me or is it your missing red star?
          It's there, very faint, almost pink, right above the curb about 100 feet from the left curve.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Sorry GG but I am still having trouble seeing the faint marker. Now this is what I call a marker. For my area, the 3D view is not very useful, but the street view is. This is available at the bottom of the screen with the Explore option.
            Attached Files

Comment

I put a bigger dot on it.
              Attached Files

Comment

libglu1-mesa has a 32 bit version, and is what you need, right in the trusty repos

Code:
                sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386
                , or look in Muon for libglu1-mesa. You can filter by architecture there (32 or 64 bit)

Comment

Ah thanks claydoh, so far I only looked in Muon where this version does not show up.

Apt-get does find it...

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    libglu1-mesa has a 32 bit version, and is what you need, right in the trusty repos

Code:
                    sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa:i386
                    , or look in Muon for libglu1-mesa. You can filter by architecture there (32 or 64 bit)
                    Strange. I replied to your msg last night, but ii is now missing from the thread.

Adding the 32 version of libglu1-mesa and re-installing GoogleEarth gave an error stating that google-earth.bin was the wrong architecture. Still no joy.

Comment

GG@
                      Purge GE completely, and then pull down the 32-bit .deb from Google and install.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I had GE installed my main problem was its inability to show panorama images that are available. I often use this to check on what is worth looking at if I go on a tour.

Because of this problem I now use Google Maps which has all these features available. I have also found that it accepts decimal Lat/Long coordinates. We are going on a self-drive tour and we could not find the B&B location using its name and address. By using its Lat/Long coordinates we went straight to it with images of the B&B as well!. Beat the GE!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          GG@
                          Purge GE completely, and then pull down the 32-bit .deb from Google and install.
                          That procedure is what caused my last error:
                          Code:
                          $ google-earth
                          [0325/110203:ERROR:net_util.cc(2195)] Not implemented reached in bool net::HaveOnlyLoopbackAddresses()
                          libGL error: Couldn't dlopen libudev.so.1 or libudev.so.0, driver detection may be broken.
                          googleearth-bin: ../../../../src/loader/loader.c:129: asserted_dlsym: Assertion `result' failed.
                          Google Earth has caught signal 6.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
                           This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
                           circumstances. A bug report and debugging data have been written
                           to this text file:

/home/jerry/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-5331a87b.txt

Please include this file if you submit a bug report to Google.
                          :~$
                          and the crash log showed:
                          Code:
                          Major Version 7
                          Minor Version 1
                          Build Number 0002
                          Build Date Oct  7 2013
                          Build Time 12:17:02
                          OS Type 3
                          OS Major Version 3
                          OS Minor Version 13
                          OS Build Version 0
                          OS Patch Version 0
                          Crash Signal 6
                          Crash Time 1395763323
                          Up Time 0.882566

Stacktrace from glibc:
                          ./libgoogleearth_free.so(+0x1e8d0b)[0xf7388d0b]
                          ./libgoogleearth_free.so(+0x1e8f41)[0xf7388f41]
                          [0xf775d400]
                          Purging everything and doing a repository install results in this:
                          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of googleearth:
                          googleearth depends on libfreeimage3; however:
                          Package libfreeimage3 is not installed.
                          googleearth depends on libcurl3:i386; however:

dpkg: error processing package googleearth (--install):
                          dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

I would run it using gdb to track the problem more deeply, but gdb is broken on Tahr. Any attempts to use it throws up the gdb help screen. Kdbg crashes.
                          I may give a try to running GE under my virtual XP.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 25, 2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Fired up my Virtual XP and installed Google Earth. It first complained that DirectX wasn't available and gave an option to run under GL. Clicking that option it said to close GE and restart it. I did and GE came up and ran nicely. Was also quick.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              Fired up my Virtual XP and installed Google Earth. It first complained that DirectX wasn't available and gave an option to run under GL. Clicking that option it said to close GE and restart it. I did and GE came up and ran nicely. Was also quick.
                              I do not have any version of M$ Windows on any system but I do have an earlier version of Kubuntu which has GE working correctly. Since using Google Maps, I find that it is superior to GE and I suspect that Google are putting their effort into Google Maps.

Do you find that Google Maps is better or worse than Google Earth?
                              Last edited by NoWorries; Mar 25, 2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X