This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    ...Do you find that Google Maps is better or worse than Google Earth?
    I miss a lot of features that Google Maps (even the 3D) do not supply. For example, the ability to overly a map with a klm file which plots a path in 3D. Switch to other planetary bodies. Flight simulation over real terrain maps. Measuring distances by drawing a line. Moving over the surface just above the ground and being able to descend into valleys or climb to the top of high places and see the view from those vantage points.
    But, for seeing things in realistic 3D, or plotting trips and comparing distances via various routes, and looking at street views ... Google Maps is great! Even when I had Google Earth installed I mostly used Google Maps.

The problem began, in my case, when the ia32 libraries were "merged" and became incompatible. Now, there are conflicts between the libGLU.so for 32 bit and 64 bit archs. Basically, I installed the 64bit Tahr and tried to keep it pure 64 because of past incompatibilities. I'm debating if I want to un-install all 32bit libraries and the packages that depend on them.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      The problem began, in my case, when the ia32 libraries were "merged" and became incompatible. Now, there are conflicts between the libGLU.so for 32 bit and 64 bit archs. Basically, I installed the 64bit Tahr and tried to keep it pure 64 because of past incompatibilities. I'm debating if I want to un-install all 32bit libraries and the packages that depend on them.
      The real issue needing resolution is why there is a difference between two different systems. I am guessing part is the confusion and misconceptions involved with running 32 bit binaries in 64 bit environments. Plus the failure on google/ms/skype in building 64 bit versions of their Linux software, or at least google could fix the packaging on GE to include the packages you (and likely others) are missing. (I am still trying to find or create an install where I can't install or run GE to perhaps aid in finding the specific packages missing)

really, for most people the only things needing 32 bit stuff is Wine and Skype, so a "pure" 64 bit system is not too difficult to achieve

As to 'incompatibilities' between the 32 and 64 bit libraries, that is not the case. Your 64 bit system utilizes only the 64 bit libraries. When you run a 32 bit binary, it is using only the 32 bit libraries. they do not conflict. The ia32-libs were not "merged". This was simply a meta-package that pulled in all the individual 32 bit library packages, around 170 mb or so of them, as a blanket catch-all. What has changed is that apt can now take a 32 bit deb package and install the 32 bit dependencies exactly like what happens normally, without having to have a "special" 64 bit package that solely existed to have the ia32-libs meta-package as the main dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        ......Plus the failure on google/ms/skype in building 64 bit versions of their Linux software...
        IMO, THAT is the real problem.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        As to 'incompatibilities' between the 32 and 64 bit libraries, that is not the case. Your 64 bit system utilizes only the 64 bit libraries. When you run a 32 bit binary, it is using only the 32 bit libraries. they do not conflict. ...
        Actually, when I first attempted to install GE from the repository the error msg I got was a "wrong architecture" trying to install libGLU.so.1 (32b) because it conflicted with libGLU.so.1 (64b).
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X