X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha 2 available

Lastest:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...14.04/alpha-2/

FYI: Use for testing only. THIS IS STILL AN ALPHA RELEASE.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Of course, those who installed Alpha 1 are upgraded automatically to Alpha 2.

My own experience with Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha 1 is that it is remarkably stable.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      ...My own experience with Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha 1 is that it is remarkably stable.
      That matches my experience, but I would not want an unaware user to install an alpha release, thinking it was a fully vetted version... Such things have been known to happen...
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Of course, those who installed Alpha 1 are upgraded automatically to Alpha 2.

My own experience with Kubuntu 14.04 Alpha 1 is that it is remarkably stable.
        I also found it quite stable, however there were a couple of "odd" events. For example, I found the Wireless Network connection appearing during login and then permanently at top centre of the screen. A click on it removed it.

Because of this and other oddities, I installed Alpha 2 over Alpha 1 and everything is now behaving as it should. In the past I have tended to install each pre-release version to make sure that dependencies are all in order. This is straight forward for me as I have separate partitions for home and root.

Comment

Odd indeed. I have experienced no "oddness" since I installed or after any of the updates, including one this morning.

I selected the btrfs filesystem during the install of Apha and I am very pleased with it. I have some posts of my experience in a thread about btrfs started by Oceanluver.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sounds like btrfs is the way to go. I have Ext4 for all my partitions, but I do not think this is responsible for what I have experienced.

For a new system I install all the applications that I have on the previous release. An example of the packages that I install is:
            nfs-kernel-server, ssh, krename, hplip-gui, xsane, acroread, Avidemux-qt, Kaffeine
            vlc,libxine1-all-plugins, Audacity, linux-firmware-nonfree, ffmpeg, recordmydesktop, libavcodec-extra-53, firefox, Skype, googleearth, gimp-data-extras, gimp-plugin-registry, Hugin, digikam, kubuntu-restricted-extras, icedtea-6-plugin, yawp, libreoffice-base, libreoffice-report-builder, dibus, gst123
            For my video information shown below on my muon system it shows that I have a 3D accelerator (top image). On my trusty system it shows that the 3D accelerator is unknown (bottom image). I tried adding the fglrx and fglrx-amdccle packages but that crashed the desktop. I got it working again and then repeatedly got a system error message as well as the wireless connection message every time I booted.

So with these problems and the fact that I installed lots of other applications, I thought it would be much faster to install the Alpha 2 and have another go at trying to break the system.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 27, 2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X