This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth

Please, please, please :-) make bluetooth running out of the box without fiddling, editing/creating files and hacking around. It's a mess atm (I know the bluez brothers broke everything). If you look at Distrowatch, they shell out a "new" (fork of a fork of a fork but with lovely wallpapers...) distro every minute and the reviewers are writing a novel about the "nice wallpapers and icons" and other girlie matters (reminds me on a fashion magazine) but none of the latest distros is able to handle bread&butter things like bluetooth! I tested some of the brand new (cough) distros...
    Bluetooth is working out of the box only in:
    Elementary OS (based on Ubuntu 12.04)
    Pear OS (based on Ubuntu 13.04)

Thank you!

Hello anamnesis

I am pleased to post that in Trusty Tahr, a Kensington Bluetooth Adapter 2.0 Model number K33348US works "out of the box".

I inserted the dongle in a USB port.

A bluetooth icon immediately appeared in the lower right panel.

I had my Android phone, a Samsung Galaxy SIII with Bluetooth enabled nearby.

The Samsung phone found the computer, after clicking the scan for devices button in Bluetooth config on the computer the phone was found and offered in Dolphin.

One then had to do the "normal dance" of trying to actually get the "password" on the computer to pair which is a pain in the derrier.

Note:

DO NOT USE "manual" the 0000 or 1234 in the setup. The computer WILL pop a random digit pairing number, it will be BIG and BLOCKY in a big box.

I had to make two attempts, but the computer popped a random digit pairing number, I just could not get the verdamnft thing into the phone fast enough! The USUAL dance!

However, went through the whole pairing thing again, in that I disabled / reenabled Bluetooth on the phone.

I hovered the mouse in the general area of the notifications and immediately that it popped the notice about finding the phone, I clicked it and then immediately went to the phone and entered the number.

And the pairing was immediate.

I then transferred an image from the phone to the computer...

You have to be QUICK to pop the interactive notice and ACCEPT the file or the whole thing just quits and you have to do it again.

However, it did work and the transfer took about..... twenty seconds for a normal jpeg taken by the phone.

The transferred image went to the documents folder.

If I can be of any other help please ask but this is probably the extent of my knowledge.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 13, 2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
      Hello anamnesis

I am pleased to post that in Trusty Tahr, a Kensington Bluetooth Adapter 2.0 Model number K33348US works "out of the box".
      Ah, good to know that. Thank you! On many newer distros the dance not even starts: no adapter found, bluedevil grayed out. In Kanotix KDE blueman works nicely but not with dolphin because it doesn't support the obex protocol, and nautilus is not installed of course. So I trust in trusty then :-)

Comment

My bluetooth dongle has worked out-of-the-box with every Kubuntu release since 11.04 and worked with minor adjustment on 10.04. Maybe you should look at the other side of the coin and research the hardware to see which work well and which don't. Of course, you may be using your bluetooth for more complicated things than I do.

Please Read Me

Comment

http://www.kardasa.pl/blog/11/63/Acc...e-manager.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, it's not working with this one:

Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

even with this udev rule:
            /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
            # Set bluetooth power up
            ACTION=="add", KERNEL=="hci0", RUN+="/usr/bin/hciconfig hci0 up"

greetings

Comment

Report a bug please

$ ubuntu-bug bluetooth
              apachelogger, Kubuntu Core Developer and Master of the Minions.

Comment

Originally posted by apachelogger View Post
                Report a bug please

$ ubuntu-bug bluetooth
                Done that already, but there are many others with the exact same problem. Basically, it's blueZ5 which is not compatible to Pulseaudio 4, gnome-bluetooth and also bluedevil in KDE. On the gnome side they try to fix in 3.12 or maybe in 3.10. But it's still a mess atm, and they must fix it asap because there is a lot of bluetooth peripherals around nowadays (headsets, speakers, mice, keyboards, mobile phones etc).
                Cheers

Comment

ummmmmm bluetooth has worked out of the box since saucy and is even more out of the box since tahr.

woodsmoke

Comment

Except for bluetooth phone teathering. I've not got that working since upgrading to 13.10. It did work on 13.04.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
                      Except for bluetooth phone teathering. I've not got that working since upgrading to 13.10. It did work on 13.04.
                      Exactly. I meant my mobile phone, indeed. I think I figured out the highest working blueZ No= 4.99 (all the *buntus 13.04, Debian Wheezy, Elementary OS, Pear OS). It breaks with blueZ 4.10 and higher (from 13.10 upwards/Debian Jessie). It seems they take their time to fix it because it's only bluetooth. Who needs bluetooth? A lot more important are the awesome wallpapers, themes and icons, and they work really hard on that! </sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by anamnesis View Post
                        Basically, it's blueZ5 which is not compatible to Pulseaudio 4, gnome-bluetooth and also bluedevil in KDE.
                        Trusty contains bluez4 as far as I am aware.

Comment

Ah, I think you mean bluez5 fixes it.
                          Unfortunately bluez5 won't make it for 14.04. As you pointed you there are lots of pieces that need to grow bluez5 support before it can be landed, and that is not going to happen in time. On the plus side we are very much looking towards bluez5 for 14.10.

Comment

Working...
                          X