Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keyboard shortcut 2 questions

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    keyboard shortcut 2 questions

    First question, what is the Kubuntu 13.10 equivalent of Ubuntu's ctrl-H? Nothing happens when I use the command, I'm hoping it's not the right command, otherwise, my keyboard just doesn't work.

    Second question, I went to System Settings>Shortcuts and Gestures and tried to set up a keyboard shortcut to open the System Monitor. For some reason I did not manage to get anything set up. Nothing there would work the way I wanted it to. Every section had a different problem with working right. So am I just in the wrong place, or am I just an idiot when it comes to this stuff?

    #2
    Ctrl+H is the shortcut for First page in System Settings > Shortcuts and Gestures > Standard Keyboard Shortcuts. In the web browser you're using, that combination may have different results. Here, using Chromium, Ctrl+H brings up the browser history page.

    What are you wanting it to do, and from where?
    Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
    Windows no longer obstruct my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

    Comment


      #3
      I'm not sure what you mean by "System Monitor". The standard shortcut for the app "System Activity" is Ctrl-Esc.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by rk4262 View Post
        First question, what is the Kubuntu 13.10 equivalent of Ubuntu's ctrl-H?
        Ctrl+H is the shortcut key that displays hidden files in Unity and in Nautilus, which are part of Ubuntu but not of Kubuntu. The equivalent in Dolphin (KDE's file manager) is Alt+. -- that's the Alt key and the period key.

        Comment


          #5
          SteveRiley, thanks for that one, that was driving me nuts.

          Now for the second question, I'm talking about the KSysGuard System Monitor, it' s the closest thing to Windows ctrl-alt-dlt Task Manager, to close a non-responsive program, I have a habit of multi-tasking, and my computer isn't built for multi-tasking so I end up opening too many windows, and eventually something ends up locking up.

          Comment


            #6
            You can use the graphical 'Kill it' key combination of Ctrl+Alt+Esc. This turns the cursor into a skull. Move it over the app window you want to kill and click. Program is killed.
            Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
            Windows no longer obstruct my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

            Comment


              #7
              You can "kill" from crtl-esc - try it.

              Also, if you're a mouse user - I always add a "Hidden Files" button to my Dolphin.
              Attached Files

              Please Read Me

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                I always add a "Hidden Files" button to my Dolphin.
                Nice. Just added it to mine.
                Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
                Windows no longer obstruct my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Ctrl+H is the shortcut key that displays hidden files in Unity and in Nautilus, which are part of Ubuntu but not of Kubuntu. The equivalent in Dolphin (KDE's file manager) is Alt+. -- that's the Alt key and the period key.
                  You can also use F8 which is the default alternative shortcut for toggling hidden files in dolphin...or, if you really prefer Ctrl+H, you can change the shortcut in Dolphin>Settings>ConfigureShortcuts

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Also, if you're a mouse user - I always add a "Hidden Files" button to my Dolphin.
                    Yes, I do that, but it doesn't show when I get a save as file picker. Is there a way to add the button there too?

                    Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

                    Comment


                      #11
                      No need. When you do 'Save as' just place a period ( . ) in front of the name.
                      Slava Ukraini! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡¦
                      Windows no longer obstruct my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes​

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        No need. When you do 'Save as' just place a period ( . ) in front of the name.
                        Ah... I don't want to hide the file I'm saving, rather quickly find the directory I want, which is obscured by the forest of (un-) hidden directories in my home directory. I can click on the "options" icon, and toggle "show hidden" from there, or press alt-., but I look for the button I've added in dolphin...

                        Regards, John Little
                        Regards, John Little

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                          You can also use F8 which is the default alternative shortcut for toggling hidden files in dolphin...or, if you really prefer Ctrl+H, you can change the shortcut in Dolphin>Settings>ConfigureShortcuts
                          I dont really care what the shortcut is, as long as I know what it is.

                          Thanks for the replies.



                          Sent from my phone, so please overlook the typo's I cant hit these small keys.

                          Comment

                          Users Viewing This Topic

                          Collapse

                          There are 0 users viewing this topic.

                          Working...
                          X