This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleachbit as root fails to launch

Hi, the latest release of Kubuntu (13.10) has been the most polished and most frustrating release to date for me. So with that out of the way let me get to the point.

Is there some change I'm unaware of that has made it where bleachbit is no longer able to launch as a root program (IE using kdesudo or similar)? If it isn't how can I fix this issue as Bleachbit really needs root privileges to perform things like remove of useless language packs and so on.

Thanks in advance.

You can to tell it to 'run as root' by editing it's application entry via the K Menu Editor.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I can't reproduce this, as it is working just fine with "kdesudo bleachbit" here. Are you seeing any errors when trying to run it with kdesudo?

Comment

LOL...Well, this is strange...yesterday I kept getting xorg errors where it said something about not being able to find a proper display server when running bleachbit as root from it's GUI launcher or from the terminal. Now I start up my computer today and it's working just fine and terminal outputs indicate no error. I didn't install any packages in between shutdown yesterday and startup today so this just baffles me. Can I keep this issue open for a few more days just in case I somehow reverse this luck?

Comment

And just like that it seems every other reboot I get this issue and here's the output from CLI

Code:
          kdesudo(3482) KDESu::KDESuPrivate::KCookie::getXCookie: No X authentication info set for display  ":0" 

No protocol specified
          /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
            warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
          Could not open X display
          So can someone explain why just about every other boot I get this issue? This makes no sense.

Comment

This can be caused by a missing or corrupt .Xauthority file. Supposedly, running visudo and adding env_keep+="DISPLAY XAUTHORITY"to the Defaults lines fixes it. Others have just deleted both the user and root .Xauthority files.

I've tried neither option, so attempt at your own peril!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              This can be caused by a missing or corrupt .Xauthority file. Supposedly, running visudo and adding env_keep+="DISPLAY XAUTHORITY"to the Defaults lines fixes it. Others have just deleted both the user and root .Xauthority files.

I've tried neither option, so attempt at your own peril!
              deleting your .Xauthority file is safe enough ,,,,,,,it gets auto generated on a reboot ,,,,never tryed the other thing their & /root should not have one ,,,,,,,unless you have enabeld a root Acct. and loged in to a GUI (the desk top )as root .
              the .Xauthority is a magic cookie that gives you permission to use the x server .

VINNY
              Last edited by vinnywright; Dec 16, 2013, 08:03 PM.
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X